java moss question

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

java moss question

Post by Harry »

I was thinking of adding java moss to my opae ula tank. It is a two gallon tank and has been established for ten years. I often see new fry, so I know the tank is healthy.

Java moss appears to be widely available and inexpensive. But I have read that it may contain many hitchhikers. And I have heard of one tank turning rusty brown after adding java moss.

So my question is: Is there a safe way to do this?
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: java moss question

Post by Vorteil »

Can't use java moss. Your salinity is too high.
Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Harry »

I have read as follows:
"Taxiphyllum barbieri, better known as Java moss, is one of the most popular plants for brackish aquariums. It can make a decorative cover for rocks or wood or even be left free-floating to provide refuge for fry and other shy aquarium inhabitants. Specific water values or lots of light aren’t necessary for this undemanding moss, which makes it a good option for beginners. To keep your Java moss healthy in a brackish aquarium, don’t just plop it in there! Acclimate carefully. Once the plant has adapted and starts producing new growth be sure to trim regularly to prevent the middle part from being deprived of oxygen and turning brown."

My main issues are:

1. How best to acclimate to brackish water
2. How to get rid of unwanted snails and hitchhikers.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

It is posted here. YOU CANNOT PUT JAVA MOSS IN AN OPAE ULA TANK. The salinity is too high. Yes it can withstand some higher salinity which is considered brackish.

https://www.petshrimp.com/beware-of-so- ... er-plants/
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

You can't acclimate moss to Supershrimp brackish conditions, not even close. It won't even survive low salinity brackish water. It just dies slowly while staying green for months sometimes and people think it has "acclimated" and go write an article about it and spread misinformation. Trust me java moss will rot in a shrimp tank and cause all kinds of trouble in the long run.
Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Harry »

Thanks for the food information.
Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Harry »

Sorry, "good' information.