My Nano Tank Set Up Success Story

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: My Nano Tank Set Up Success Story

Post by Flippers »

jcfrank922 wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 8:57 am Also, I'm in the process of cycling a new tank. It is identical to my original tank except it is twice the size. I will be going from 3/4 gallon to 1.5 gallon. This time I'm using aragonite sand instead of crushed coral. I also added a black lava rock and some shells. I added one cup of water from my current tank to the new tank and added a couple of food pellets to help the cycling process. I really like these anchor hocking glass jars! I think they make excellent shrimp tanks! I'm in no hurry to transfer them, since I don't want to move any berried shrimp.fullsizeoutput_43b.jpegfullsizeoutput_43c.jpegfullsizeoutput_43a.jpegfullsizeoutput_43d.jpeg
Where did you get your shells? This may be a silly question, but do they add calcium or other benefits or are they purely for decor?
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

Mustafa wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:05 pm Yes, they do eat their dead. They eat all kinds of organic material.
Will they eat a dead snail?
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Flippers wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:59 pmWill they eat a dead snail?
I believe they will, and if not then the other snails will (assuming they are Mustafa's which are omnivorous I believe). I haven't seen which ones do most of the eating but if a snail dies (typically of old age) in my tank its shell is empty of flesh not long after.
jcfrank922
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by jcfrank922 »

I bought the sea shells on Amazon for $9.99. They do add calcium to the tank, but if you use aragonite sand, that will do the same.
71tRMwS5cbL._SL1001_.jpg
jcfrank922
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by jcfrank922 »

Hello Everyone. Just wanted to send an update on my 1.5 gallon Nano Tank. It's been 2 1/2 years since I set up my tank. Since then, the shrimp population has grown from 20 to well over 100! There was a major growth spurt a little over a year ago, but now I think the shrimp have decided they've reached their capacity for the space they inhabit. These amazing creatures know when to stop multiplying and will not overpopulate their environment. The shrimp are very healthy and active. I only feed them 1 tiny shrimp wafer every 2 months, as there is light green algae growth throughout the tank. It sits on a bookcase where it gets a good amount of indirect sunlight. My setup is as basic as it gets and it's working great! I don't even have snails, as I don't want them. So, just letting you all know that a simple basic set up works very well also. Happy shrimping and Happy New Year!
fullsizeoutput_80a.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_809.jpeg
41b-qStbnbL.jpg
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Are those pics recent? Its hard to believe there's over a 100 in there from the number that can be seen in the pics.
jcfrank922
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by jcfrank922 »

Yes, there are at least 100. Most of them are still small as they haven't matured into full sized adulthood yet.
fullsizeoutput_816.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_817.jpeg
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for the update! I'm glad you're having such great success with the shrimp! :-)
jcfrank922
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by jcfrank922 »

Today July 22 2019. I started this tank in February 2016 after breaking open an ecosphere. I added 10 shrimp from this website. They berried and multiplied. It's a very basic simple set up and it has done well for over 3 years! I only feed them one tiny shrimp wafer every 2 months. 4 months ago I introduced 10 snails purchased from this website. They seem to be doing well also. Anywho, I love my shrimpies and especially the minimal care they require.
fullsizeoutput_90a.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_909.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_908.jpeg
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks again for the update! Did your shrimp continue to reproduce?
jcfrank922
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by jcfrank922 »

Update: My 1.5 gallon tank has now been going strong for 2 1/2 years! Went from 10 shrimp to around 100 now. About 9 months ago I purchased 10 snails from this website. After around 5 months, I stopped seeing any of them. I figured they all died, but the other day I saw an adult snail climbing up the side of the tank. Today I saw two tiny baby snails on the wall of the tank. I guess they are living mainly under the substrate. Was glad to see they're still thriving and even producing offspring!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I love these multi-year threads! :D Keep the updates coming! Yes, those snails mainly live in the substrate and people tend to think that they are dead after not seeing them for a while. Once they reach a certain population density, you start seeing them again.
jcfrank922
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by jcfrank922 »

Hey everyone! Just wanted to post a long overdue update. My 1.5 gallon tank is still going strong after 6 years! All I've had to do is top off the water level with distilled water when it gets about an inch low only around once a year. I feed them just 1 tiny shrimp pellet about once every two or three months. That's it! Take care.
IMG_1678.jpeg
IMG_1683.jpeg
Ndrewtan
Egg
Egg

Post by Ndrewtan »

No planta/moss/algae in your tank at all other than the green stuff that grows on the walls?