Transferring Eco- sphere shrimp

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

mikiec9317
Egg
Egg

Transferring Eco- sphere shrimp

Post by mikiec9317 »

I bought an Ecosphere from ShrimpBubble with 4 opae ula in it. It inspired me to try to construct my own gallon shrimp environment. The ecosphere is not closed off, it's corked.

Is it possible to transfer the shrimp to the new set up with out them dying of shock?

Would it be safe to transfer the micro algae?
Attachments
16735309956864595376019722617206.jpg
dglidden
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Transferring Eco- sphere shrimp

Post by dglidden »

You should be able to transfer them, and the macro algae, fine as long as the target tank's parameters aren't significantly different. Make sure you have the correct brackish salt level.

That looks like real driftwood in the larger cube, if it is, it should go. Driftwood will leech out all kinds of stuff into the water, changing the chemistry, and probably not in a good way for Opa Ula. The tank really just needs some lava rock or other widely-spaced rocks for hiding places. Opae Ula are not the same as freshwater shrimp but still can use hiding places of piled-up rocks.
mikiec9317
Egg
Egg

Post by mikiec9317 »

Thank you for responding. It's plastic. I ended up transferring them and added more. They have found plenty of places to take refuge.
dglidden
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by dglidden »

That's awesome! It's a nice piece of decoration, I just couldn't tell if it was real wood or not. I'm sure the shrimp will be happy in there!
Ula Hula
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ula Hula »

Cool tank! Looks good.

Yes, I'd gently dump all the water from the ecosphere into the new digs.