Baby moss balls?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

zlh850
Egg
Egg

Baby moss balls?

Post by zlh850 »

I bought a moss ball from this site around a year ago. Just a couple weeks ago i saw a ton of what appeared to be tiny moss balls, but on closer inspection they are actually just bits of aquarium gravel covered in a layer of thin hair algae. However, the algae looks pretty similar to what makes up the original moss ball. Is this actually how the moss balls reproduce or am I getting fooled here? Thanks.

Below are pics of the original and the little balls. Also, notice how the algae growing on my rocks also looks suspiciously like the algae that makes up the ball…. Are they like marimo and can also grow on surfaces along with making balls of algae?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Baby moss balls?

Post by Harry »

I am not an expert here, but I am unaware of "moss balls". There is the Marimo Moss Ball, which is actually a form of algae and not moss. Some say they will thrive in a brackish tank and others say they will rot and crash the tank. I am experimenting with Marimo Balls in glass jars with brackish water to see if I can settle that argument.

Yes, what you have appears to be hair algae.