Isolate injured shrimp?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

hydride
Egg
Egg

Isolate injured shrimp?

Post by hydride »

Hi,

One of my shrimp has been injured and seems to be missing his front legs. His mobility is otherwise fine and he swims well, but he sits strangely without the front legs to support him. He’s less mobile than usual, but I can’t tell if that’s due to the injury. It’s only been a few hours since I noticed. Only other “symptom” is that his tail seems to curve downwards more than usual, but I can’t tell if I’m imagining it now, and the hind legs work.

Should I isolate him into his own tank or put a divider? There is only one other shrimp in this setup and they mostly seem to be leaving one another alone, or sit next to each other. The other one has bumped into the injured one though, and I’m wondering whether it’s intentionally harassing the injured one or will try to eat it.

Will the injured one speed up its molt to recover the legs, or will it only do so on schedule? I’m really worried about him and have been mostly just watching. I don’t have terribly high hopes with the injury and how lethargic he seems, but I would very much like him to make it.

Thank you!
hydride
Egg
Egg

Re: Isolate injured shrimp?

Post by hydride »

Do shrimp fight each other in general? I’m thinking of adding more from another tank into this one but I’m worried about infighting or attempts to eat one another.
Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Harry »

They are docile and do not attack each other or their young. They eat algae and biofilm. You can leave the injured fellow and add more if your tank can sustain more.
hydride
Egg
Egg

Post by hydride »

Thankfully it seems to be the case, was worried cause I saw another thread here (I think) saying that the “alphas” were harassing an injured shrimp
Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Harry »

Yes, my experience has been that Alphas are a bit more aggressive. At this time, I do not have any of these larger Alphas.
hydride
Egg
Egg

Post by hydride »

I didn’t realize at the time that alphas are a different breed (I think). At any rate, in the time since, I believe the injured shrimp has grown his legs back. Difficult to tell because, if he did, they are completely transparent— I have no idea what that means.