Moving my opae ula shrimp and mts from a 20oz orb to a 2.5 gallon nano cube.

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

darth1211
Egg
Egg

Moving my opae ula shrimp and mts from a 20oz orb to a 2.5 gallon nano cube.

Post by darth1211 »

Hello! I want to move my opae ula shrimp and mts from a 20oz orb (Not sealed) to a nice 2.5 gallon nano cube. How would I safely remove my opae ula shrimp and mts from the orb into a 2.5 gallon nano cube? Well first ill have to buy a refractor meter, more aragonite sand and marine salt. I want buy black lava rock. Right now I have 3 red lava rock some little mixture of black and red lava rock. Macro algae and caulerpa algae. should I place the lava rock into tupperware? Once I cycle the nano cube, should I pour everything in the tupperware and drip acclimate the shrimp and mts? Then pour everything in the nano cube? I think I have 11 opae ula shrimp and 5 mts. 2 opae ula shrimp are juvenile and 3 other shrimp are berried. I never made the brackish water, as the orb was a kit I bought on Ebay. Thank you! :D
shrimpnoobie1
Egg
Egg

Re: Moving my opae ula shrimp and mts from a 20oz orb to a 2.5 gallon nano cube.

Post by shrimpnoobie1 »

Hi, I'll do my best to reply since you have not had any replies yet. I set up my tank that's also 2.7gal and transferred from an ecosphere and its been five years, so sorry if I am a little rusty.

Once I cycled my tank with the appropriate lvl of salinity, I just poured my shrimp in. They are hardy and as long as the water is the correct salinity, its fine. I included the water from the ecosphere for the good bacteria to help establish the tank. I think MTS must be acclimated though so be careful. I rinsed my lava rock I got from a LFS with distilled water and cycled my tank with it in it. Not sure what role the tupperware is playing in your setup /: I might be misunderstanding. Hope this helps a little and good luck. OH, and be careful with your berried shrimps. From what I've read, the stress of moving may cause them to drop eggs.
darth1211
Egg
Egg

Re: Moving my opae ula shrimp and mts from a 20oz orb to a 2.5 gallon nano cube.

Post by darth1211 »

Hey! Thank for replying :D I still haven't made a new tank yet, but now I know what I'm going to do. I'm going use a 2 gallon cookie jar. What meant by "tupperware" is like one of those glass bowl tupperware. Once the salinity is good, I will slowly dunk the orb into the water, and let them swim out. The water from the orb won't mess up the new 2 gallon water salinity? I also, don't need to acclimate the shrimp, just the MTS?
darth1211
Egg
Egg

Post by darth1211 »

darth1211
Egg
Egg

Post by darth1211 »

shrimpnoobie1 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:15 am Hi, I'll do my best to reply since you have not had any replies yet. I set up my tank that's also 2.7gal and transferred from an ecosphere and its been five years, so sorry if I am a little rusty.

Once I cycled my tank with the appropriate lvl of salinity, I just poured my shrimp in. They are hardy and as long as the water is the correct salinity, its fine. I included the water from the ecosphere for the good bacteria to help establish the tank. I think MTS must be acclimated though so be careful. I rinsed my lava rock I got from a LFS with distilled water and cycled my tank with it in it. Not sure what role the tupperware is playing in your setup /: I might be misunderstanding. Hope this helps a little and good luck. OH, and be careful with your berried shrimps. From what I've read, the stress of moving may cause them to drop eggs.
Forgot to reply to your comment... lol