New to this Forum and Opae Ula

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

CJP1953
Egg
Egg

New to this Forum and Opae Ula

Post by CJP1953 »

Just joined this forum and want to learn as much as possible on opae ula before I start a tank for them.I have 2- 10 gallon tanks,cherry and orange neocaridina shrimp.In the next few months I'll start a tank for these amazing little shrimp.When I setup my neocaridina tanks I cycled the tank with drops of ammonia until completely cycled.I cycled these tanks planted for 2 months before I added shrimp and a day before adding shrimp did a 100% water change.I would like to hear how others went about cycling theirs and what they did.I plan on getting a tank with no less 10 gallons for stability and maybe up to a 20 long tank.It will have crushed coral,covered with sand and plenty of lava rock formations,and no heater or filter. I will make from lava stones used in gas grills hot glued together.I plan to have at least half the tank filled with lava mounds for growing algae.I'm new to this type of shrimp and would like to hear how members cycled their tanks with or without using ammonia.I want to take my time doing this,and not in a hurry to add shrimp.I plan on getting everything together soon and for now using Instant Ocean for salt and Distilled water to fill the tank and for topping off the water as needed.Thanks in advance for accepting me and for any advice and what your experience you had setting up your tanks. :)
Ula Hula
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: New to this Forum and Opae Ula

Post by Ula Hula »

It's best to keep it simple and just follow Mustafa's instructions on this site. He probably knows more about keeping opae ulas than anybody in the world.

Here is the link:
https://www.petshrimp.com/set-up-a-supe ... tructions/

Good luck and enjoy!
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Agree with Ula Hula.

I just did what was recommended on this site. I have three small jar tanks. Once I filled them with water I just sat them near a window until I saw algae growth; no chemicals. The one in my office I didn't have a window for so I got a cheap led light off Amazon and had it running during my work hours and it turned out fine.

Good luck!
CJP1953
Egg
Egg

Post by CJP1953 »

How does the tank cycle without an ammonia source?I have cycled many tanks in the 20 years I had fresh water fish.Never had a saltwater tank so forgive my ignorance.Is this how a brackish tank is cycled?How does it go from ammonia to Nitrites to Nitrates?
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

There are posts on here from people who can explain it better than me. But, if you're worried about it, I know some people also use snails early on in the cycling process to help things along. You could try that.
CJP1953
Egg
Egg

Post by CJP1953 »

I'll keep doing research,thanks for that information.