White stringy algae?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

MsNymbus
Larva
Larva

White stringy algae?

Post by MsNymbus »

Hello! So I have a ton of white stringy growth in my tank, and my macroalgae is turning yellow & white as well (see attached). That said, my shrimp & snails are otherwise thriving! Got some babies a couple months ago and they’re growing great! So I am not sure if these white algae (?) strings are harmful but they are certainly over growing. I am wondering what to do. I plan to not feed at all until it’s under control but besides that I’m wondering what to do for lighting - I think it has been getting too much which may be why there is a lot of growth. I have a led that has multiple color options so I wonder if there’s an ideal light color/brightness/time to keep it on? Any suggestions would be great! I am also thinking perhaps I should get a moss ball to compete and/or removing & replacing my current macroalgae. I could get more snails but I already have a lot! Always finding new babies too. I don’t want to do anything too disruptive because again the shrimp & snails appear to be doing great but aesthetically the white is ugly and I’m afraid if I let it get out of control it could do some damage. I am linking to the light I use and attaching a picture of the tank for reference. Thank you!

Light:
hygger 24/7 Mode Submersible Aquarium LED Light, Full Spectrum Hidden Fish Tank Light with 3 Rows Beads 7 Colors Auto On Off Sunrise-Daylight-Moonlight, Adjustable Timer Brightness 6W https :// a. co/d/84rkacq
(I have been using the auto sunrise-daylight-moonlight mode)

Pic attached. Thanks again!
Attachments
4D32D69A-45C9-4AAE-9DA8-5963A53296EE.jpeg
Last edited by MsNymbus on Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
MsNymbus
Larva
Larva

Re: White stringy algae?

Post by MsNymbus »

Bump? 😬🙏🏼
NeptuneDreamer23
Egg
Egg

Post by NeptuneDreamer23 »

Consider reducing your tank's lighting duration and intensity to combat the white stringy growth, which might be a type of algae. Experiment with different light colors and brightness settings. Manual removal of excess algae and adding a moss ball can help. Be mindful not to overfeed, and monitor your water parameters for nitrate and phosphate levels. This should maintain a healthy tank without disrupting your thriving shrimp and snails.
MsNymbus
Larva
Larva

Post by MsNymbus »

Thanks! I’ve reduced the lighting duration but I will try experimenting with colors. I also haven’t been feeding the tank. I do think I will get some moss balls & replace the macroalgae but I’m worried about the babies getting stuck in there when I remove it! There are new tiny ones and they’re always crawling around in the macroalgae. Would love some pro tips on how to remove it safely! Hopefully the white algae will clear up soon 🤞🏼 I’ve been trying to figure out what kind it is and so far my best guess just from googling is either staghorn, or it’s the macroalgae spreading? Anyhoo, thanks for the reply!
NeptuneDreamer23 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:47 pm Consider reducing your tank's lighting duration and intensity to combat the white stringy growth, which might be a type of algae. Experiment with different light colors and brightness settings. Manual removal of excess algae and adding a moss ball can help. Be mindful not to overfeed, and monitor your water parameters for nitrate and phosphate levels. This should maintain a healthy tank without disrupting your thriving shrimp and snails.