Will filter shrimp injure other shrimp?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

chris91jones

Will filter shrimp injure other shrimp?

Post by chris91jones »

Hello,

I didn't think they would, but a PETCO person told me it would kill smaller shrimp. They also said they were highly territorial, and they said that when the fan like feeding appendages were closed, they formed a sharp defensive weapon. Is this true?

Thanks,
Chris
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

My fan shrimp (A. moluccensis, I think) seem to be totally unaware that they are kept with glass shrimp. I've seen them close their fans and wave them at my gouramis, but I question their ability to use this 'spike' as a weapon.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Those shrimp are totally harmless. Do not believe what a pet store clerk tells you. They have absolutely no idea about the fish they are selling already, let allone any invertebrates.

Mustafa
Monkanater
Larva
Larva

Post by Monkanater »

That is fuuny i have never thought of a fan shrimp attacking other fish or shrimp i have seen pic and and look like they even have claws to hold the food the get with the "spike"any ways isnt the "spike" made of a bunch of fether like strands? how is that strong enogh the stab something?
RooLee
Egg
Egg

Post by RooLee »

I own several African Fanshrimps and they are not totally defenceless,
I heard they can fold their fans and use them as a spike to attack with. I've never seen that happen. What I did see is that they use their front legs, the spiky ones as a weapon. At the end of the legs is a small dark colored spike. When agitated they start to trample (especially when fish try to grab the algae tablet they are feeding on), I,ve never seen an other animal get hurt by them though. The fanshrimp are just to clumsy to be ferocious fighters, they do posess however a strength you would not expect from an animal of their size.
African Fanshrimps are not territorial, on the opposite they like huddling together when they feel threatened. Sometimes irritation excists but i've never seen true fights.

RooLee