Embarrasing problem....

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

theshrimp_123
Shrimp
Shrimp

Embarrasing problem....

Post by theshrimp_123 »

Hi,

I had a light in my tank. Recently it wentout. Thinking that i was pretty knowledgable on shrimp care, I didnt do any thing. 3 days later (today) one of my cherries died. Any link?

Chris
jonathan03
Larva
Larva

Post by jonathan03 »

I don't think so. My cherry shrimp are in a tank without a light since I'm still building a canopy for the tank. They have been in darkness for about a month and are still breeding even.
GunmetalBlue
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by GunmetalBlue »

Hi Chris, sorry to hear of your loss. :(

I agree with Jonathan, to my knowledge, there's no reason why a lack of artificial light would kill your shrimp. I would check for other factors which could include, it was just his/her time to go.

-GunmetalBlue

Edit: I did find a post: viewtopic.php?t=483 that quotes Mustafa as saying: "I do use lights in every tank by the way and think it's essential to the well-being of the shrimp."

That's a good overall care quideline to know, but still wouldn't think 3 days without lights would have killed a shrimp... though I can see a small possibility *could exist if a very elaborate planted tank set-up's parameters got thrown out of whack. Are the other shrimps doing okay? I hope so.
ijedic
Egg
Egg

Post by ijedic »

I am sorry for your loss. My shrimp tank does not have lighting either. It is in front of a row of windows, and recieves sunlight. It is well planted, and the plants are thriving on the sunlight. (the windows are on the side of the house that gets afternoon sun. Take care, Shannon
theshrimp_123
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by theshrimp_123 »

Hey,

Thanks. I have been really busy, but iinstalled a new light. All is well.

Thanks,
Chris