Tank for Macrobrachium assamensis

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Jackie
Shrimp
Shrimp

Tank for Macrobrachium assamensis

Post by Jackie »

How large should a tank be for 5 Macrobrachium assamensis? I know they are rather agressive, so I'm planning 72 litres. Too big a tank or too small?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Jackie,

That is *way* too small for those guys, especially if you have several males. Try twice that size at least for best results.

Mustafa
Jackie
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Jackie »

Petshrimp.com wrote:That is *way* too small for those guys, especially if you have several males. Try twice that size at least for best results.
Hi Mustafa,

I'm getting scared :wink:
And I'm the one who thought nothing could be more agressive than Malawi cichlids...
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Jackie,

Remember that Cichlids have a 3 dimensional territory, whereas the shrimp only walk around on the ground and thus have a 2 dimensional territory. So...how much "bottom space" you have is more important, in terms of territories, than how many liters or gallons your tank holds.

Take care,
Mustafa
Last edited by Mustafa on Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackie
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Jackie »

Petshrimp.com wrote:Remember that Cichlids have a 3 dimensional territory, whereas the shrimp only walk around on the ground and thus have a 2 dimensional territory. So...how much "bottom space" you have is more important, in terms of territories, than how many liters of gallons your tank holds.
Hi Mustafa :D

In other words, the tank may be a little lower than the traditional ones?

Another question - are the females of the Machrobrachium as agressive as the males?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yes, they can be lower. As to the females...yes, they are usually less aggressive since they are lacking the huge claws the males have. But that is not always the case....plus..there are individual differences, too.

Take care,
Mustafa
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

Jackie wrote: And I'm the one who thought nothing could be more agressive than Malawi cichlids...
It is also important to remember that while Malawi cichlids are agressive and territorial, many (like mbuna) are not macro-pedators. Machrobrachium on the other hand are predatory.