Die Shrimp from Soft Shell

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

gnatster
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by gnatster »

Calcium Carbonate is used in wine making to lower the acidity of fruit juices.

You can also pick up Calcium Carbonate at an lfs that hass reef supplies. Kent Turbo Calcium comes readily to mind, but I'm sure there are other brands.
winwin
Larva
Larva

Post by winwin »

Thanks for the info! Hope I can find this brand in Hong Kong. By the way, how much approximately is this? :D
Piscesgirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Piscesgirl »

I didn't think Kent Turbo Calcium was carbonate, but I could be wrong.

The reef calcium tends to be a few more dollars than the powdered calcium if I remember correctly. I think it was only a few dollars.
gnatster
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by gnatster »

Acording to the Kent Marine site it contains anhydrous calcium chloride.
thgng
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Hmm

Post by thgng »

I have sucessful breeded Red Cherry Shrimp in a 4 Gal tank with some java moss and gravel. Now I have a total of 20+ offspring.

I added a handful of coral chips in the hang-on-the-glass external filter to make the water harder.

Both the Malaysia trumpet snails and the round body snails(I don't know the name) co-exist in the same tank.
The white transparent slimes(eggs) belonging to the round body snail are all over the tank. Whereas the Trumpet snail give birth to "live" young. (No eggs, as I as told)

The snails and the shrimps are breeding just fine.

In fact, I have so many snails that some just crawled out on the tank and landed all over the floor.

I'm still puzzled by their strange behavior !

Does it happens to anyone ?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Certain snail species do that. They have lungs and can live out of the water. However, lots of times they either fall, or can't find their way back and dry out outside the tank. Totally normal behavior. I've observed it in the wild, too. But there, obviously, they can't "fall out" of a little creek or river.

Mustafa
RooLee
Egg
Egg

Post by RooLee »

I've heard that shrimps who die after shedding their "skin",dont die because of a lack of calcium. It's a lack of foliumacid or vitamin B11, wich is needed to create new and healthy tissue. The same stuff which is recommended to pregnant women for a healthy develepment of the unborn child.
A lack of calcium can be the source of the problem, but not the only one. In natural conditions beeshrimp live in waters with PH of 6.5 to 7.2, so a little acidic water should be no problem!
Foliumacid can be found in most Leafy vegetables! some more than others... :wink:
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

All kinds of people claim all kinds of things...but fact is that nobody knows. I only believe claims if they are published in a scientific, peer reviewed journal.

Mustafa