What do your crayfish do?

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

What do your crayfish do?

Post by chlorophyll »

I think my current juvenile P. Clarkii has the most interesting behaviors of any crusacean I've ever kept! I remember playing with these as a child, but never really observed them in a tank.
It's very distracting in my desktop setup.

I watch him:
-Climbing up the side of the tank and pulling his body as far out of the water as he can, then plopping back down.
-Climbing on the branch I put in the tank, to the surface, and filling his shell with air.
-Sometimes briefly perching himself on the branch, completely out of the water.
-Digging a burrow between two rocks -- They don't just push the gravel; he collects a scoop of the substrate in his front arms, walks out of the burrow with it and places the substrate elsewhere. Very cute.
-Trying to spar with my tools when I'm aquascaping.
-Just today after a moult, I saw him using his middle legs to pick up small pieces of substrate and whack them on the back of his eyes. I don't know if this is some sort of normal post-moult ritual, or if there's something not quite right with my little guy... but he just keeps doing things that grab my attention.
edinjapan
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by edinjapan »

....drive me nuts :smt104
Jackie
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: What do your crayfish do?

Post by Jackie »

chlorophyll wrote:I think my current juvenile P. Clarkii has the most interesting behaviors of any crusacean I've ever kept!
So as my Cherax destructor :D
chlorophyll wrote:I watch him:
-Climbing up the side of the tank and pulling his body as far out of the water as he can, then plopping back down.
Mine is too lazy :wink:
chlorophyll wrote:-Climbing on the branch I put in the tank, to the surface, and filling his shell with air.
chlorophyll wrote:-Sometimes briefly perching himself on the branch, completely out of the water.
chlorophyll wrote:-Digging a burrow between two rocks -- They don't just push the gravel; he collects a scoop of the substrate in his front arms, walks out of the burrow with it and places the substrate elsewhere. Very cute.
Mine is lazy but does the same :)
chlorophyll wrote:-Trying to spar with my tools when I'm aquascaping.
Mine too :)

Just a few days ago Osbourne (name of my cray) decided to take off the sponge from the PowerHead and cut it to small pieces.

ALL of the plants I had in the tank stopped existing - Mr. Destructor destructed them.

O, I almost forgot - he can read and write in Japanese :wink:
edinjapan
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by edinjapan »

Jackie wrote:Just a few days ago Osbourne (name of my cray) decided to take off the sponge from the PowerHead and cut it to small pieces.

ALL of the plants I had in the tank stopped existing - Mr. Destructor destructed them.

O, I almost forgot - he can read and write in Japanese :wink:
Osbourne as in Ozzy? I'd introduce him up to Zari chan-she has one trick that she does well, climbs up on the hand that has the food and takes the goodies. Right now now she and B chan have some 100-200 offspring in a styro fishbox, I traded 10 last week at tyhe LFS for 2kg of fishfood, 4 anubias barterii and 2 coffiola.

BTW reading and writing Japanese is easy, can he use Illustrator, Photoshop and Maya?
Jackie
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Jackie »

edinjapan wrote:Osbourne as in Ozzy?
I had two of them, one was Ozzy, the other Osbourne. Ozzy died a few weeks ago :(
I'm trying to get a female for my cray, but it's very difficult.
edinjapan wrote:I'd introduce him up to Zari chan-she has one trick that she does well, climbs up on the hand that has the food and takes the goodies. Right now now she and B chan have some 100-200 offspring in a styro fishbox, I traded 10 last week at tyhe LFS for 2kg of fishfood, 4 anubias barterii and 2 coffiola.
Lucky you! I still haven't had the pleasure of being a crayfish grandmama.
edinjapan wrote:BTW reading and writing Japanese is easy
Sure :D
Last year I had the opportunity to talk to Takashi Amano - ask him about what he thinks of the Polish language and you will know what I think of Japanese :wink: I had problems remembering how to say "Hello" in Japanese, LOL :-D
edinjapan wrote:can he use Illustrator, Photoshop and Maya?
No, but I can (except Maya) :)
edinjapan
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by edinjapan »

Yesterday night I was woken up by a crayfish crawling up to visit me as I slept. It was Zari chan. Don't know how she got out but, there she was trying to crawl on top of me-probably just wanted to complain about being forced to eat shrimp pellets...
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

This is so interesting, makes me wanna start up a tank. Could you please give me your tank parameters so that I can start one up in the hopes of putting a pair in here then?

cheers
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Marge,

Crayfish are actually less sensitive (in general) than shrimp. So, whatever works for shrimp works for most crayfish. However, most crayfish (except for some dwarf species such as Cambarellus sp. ) also like eating plants, so usually plants as decoration are not an option.

I believe you can generally say that crayfish do well with at least some moderate hardness in the water, although some species do come from extremely soft waters (e.g. in the southern US and Florida).

Hope this helps somewhat.

Mustafa
JaVaGiRl
<b>BANNED</b>

yeah

Post by JaVaGiRl »

Yeah, crayfish do better in harder water (my experience). I always put java moss and wisteria in my big daddy tank, but he always munches on it. As for behaviors : I think crayfish have very different behaviors thats why I like them so much. When one of my crayfish are about to drop there babies, i'm like an impatient mommy, can't wait to see there personalities :D I'm just glad not alot of people sell crayfish :wink: