preg shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

scrimp

preg shrimp

Post by scrimp »

It seems every time i buy a new shrimp if a female is carrying eggs she will pass the next day. all the other shrimp seem to eb fine but the females just cant seem to stay alive when carrying eggs. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or have had this same problem when buying shrimp?
51Cornell
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by 51Cornell »

No. We got baby shrimps. What kind of shrimps are you talking about and what is your tank setup like, water parameters, etc.
scrimp

Post by scrimp »

ph 6.5

amon is reading 0

nitrates, nitrites 0

Those are the only three I had checked. Beyond that I dont seem to know why when I buy a shrimp carrying eggs she always dies on me. the tank is pretty densily planted with plants light isnt too bright. One thing i was thining about was that the fertilizer in the gravel bed its that litrate mix. could that possibily kill them??
51Cornell
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by 51Cornell »

Don't think Laterite contains anything toxic to shrimp. Did you say you added calcium and iodine? Having enough of those two elements seems to be key to keeping shrimp happy (and alive). Is your tank big enough so the females feel safe and have safe places to hide when they feel threatened? Do you have a lot of plants and stuff for them to climb on? Aerated? Lots of protezoa and infusoria? Lots of mulm?
scrimp

Post by scrimp »

One thing I dont have is any filtration on the tank. I just change 40% of the water every week or two. There are only two crystal reds in the tank currently. I removed the tiger shrimp as they seemed to keep passing away and put them in a tank with filtration. I usually just use aquafina to fill my tanks up with as I seem to never drink the whole bottle and just figure why not use it for my shrimp to live in. I did notice that when i added some new plants tot he tank thats when the tiger shrimps tarted dieing and one of my crystals died. The tank is about 1 gallon of water. Well planted with a main center piece of african drift wood and one what I thought was a small baby otto butt urned otto be a small baby cory less then half an inch big.

I dont know what is killing them off it was doing so good for about 3 months with not one dieing. I was thinking maybe I bought some shrimp that I didnt know the age of. Yet the smaller ones were dieing but even then I guess its true u cant tell the age unless u bred them urself.