ID 2 crayfish

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

bulrush
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

ID 2 crayfish

Post by bulrush »

This is the first crayfish. Both found in SW Michigan, in a small stream with lots of string algae. They were found in a widening of the stream after a culvert (Cement drain tube) in a city park. Claws have orange tips. Notice dark and light markings on thorax.

The next 2 pics are the 2nd crayfish. Found in same place as above. The pictures don't show it real well, but there is a red line between each segment of the tail. Plus the end of the tail is also lined in red. Claws have orange tips.
bulrush
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by bulrush »

Nobody wants to take a guess at these? I'm wondering if they are prawn (freshwater shrimp). Their claws are awfully small for crayfish, compared to many of the other pics I have seen.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

It's a crayfish for sure, but a very young one. It's hard to tell young crayfish apart, especially from just pictures. Adult animals would be a different matter.
CanadianCray
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by CanadianCray »

Considering is was caught in Mich. and its definatly an Orconectes. The only four Orconectes in Michigan are:

Orconectes propinquus (pond, Lake)
Orconectes immunis (more of a pond, lake cray)
Orconectes rusticus
Orconectes virilis

Since it has orange tips on the claws I would say Orconectes virilis.
bulrush
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

I think you're right

Post by bulrush »

And I found the pic of O. virilis on the web. Here it is. Note this matches the smaller cray I have complete with orange-tipped claws, and red between the tail segments and on the end of the tail.
[/img]