Euastacus yarraensis from Australia

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Euastacus yarraensis from Australia

Post by Mustafa »

Here is a picture of one of the most beautiful crayfish species I have ever seen:

Wow!
It's Euastacus yarraensis from Australia and you can find more info about it (including where exactly to find it) here:

http://tolweb.org/tree?group=Euastacus%20yarraensis

Enjoy!

Mustafa
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

That is quite the brute there Mustafa ... wow! wow! wow!
raggamuffin
Egg
Egg

Post by raggamuffin »

awsome looking creature! i live relatively close to the yarra, i could probably mosey down one day and catch one! dunno wether there really would still be some in there though cos the river is pretty polluted. how does one go about catching a cray? and do i need a licence or anything? how would you house such an animal?
Callatya
Egg
Egg

Post by Callatya »

Ragamuffun, unsure of the laws in Victoria, but you probably need a day-long fishing licence. There are rules against taking females in berry, so keep that in mind as i'm fairly sure the fines are pretty big.

Apparently the opera house style traps are reasonable for catching cray, and I don't know if they fall under a different licencing scheme.

Contact the Victorian fisheries dept, they will be able to help :)

And if you get a few, send one my way! They are gorgeous :)
CanadianCray
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by CanadianCray »

There are also many different color variation for that crayfish. So you may not catch one that looks the same as the picture.
raggamuffin
Egg
Egg

Post by raggamuffin »

yeah i know. the melbourne aquarium has one on display at the moment AND ITS A MONSTER! carapace length of at least 35cm. huge dangerous looking claws, and spines sticking out everywhere. this one has a little bit of that diatomical algae growing on his shell which i reckon looks fantasic. i'll grab a photo next time i go and post it here.

i have decided not to try to catch myself one of these guys now that i know how big they grow. you'd need a 3 foot aqaurium just for one alone! seriously, what a beast!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

35cm is huge! Are you sure that's the same species? I would love to see some pictures of that specimen.