Iodine?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

tangyp
Egg
Egg

Iodine?

Post by tangyp »

Hi...just saw this on a website somewhere.

"Keep your Shrimp Healthy! Dose with Iodine once a month!"

So...is this good or not?

Tks.
mazurov
Egg
Egg

Post by mazurov »

Iodine is good for inverts, however, dosing once a month is definitely not a good idea - iodine is not that stable and you'll lose all of it in a week or two. Dose once a week or even once a day. Also, iodine-rich food such as Hikari crab cuisine is even better - my Amanos would kill for it.
51Cornell
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by 51Cornell »

Yeh, we put some liquid iodine in each of the shrimp tanks every week and they get fed Hikari crab pellets a few times a week.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I have never put a single drop of iodine in any tank and my shrimp are doing great and producing hundreds (thousands) of offspring.

Again, there is no scientific proof that inverts can even absorb Iodine through their skin. It has to be in their food. Trust me on that.

Mustafa
amanda_h
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by amanda_h »

Petshrimp.com wrote:...It has to be in their food. Trust me on that.
So do you make sure they're fed an iodine-rich food?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I don't specifically buy food that contains significant amounts of iodine. They seem to get their share of whatever trace elements they need from anything they consume including algae and fish food.

The Iodine supplement and special "invertabrate food" are just myths and make you spend money that you really don't have to spend.

Mustafa
gnatster
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by gnatster »

Iodine rich foods that I have been feeding to my exploding population of Cherry Shrimp are spinch and mustard greens. Both are quickly microwaved to soften. I find within 10 min of feeding the foodstuffs are covered with shimp gouging themselves. I feed heavy too. In my own mind I think that shrimp pellets that I also feed my fish would be high in iodine as it's made from shrimp and shellfish are natrurally high in iodine.
amanda_h
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by amanda_h »

I just gave my shrimp some spinach, and you're right Gnat, they devoured it. Even my little babies came out to feast. :D
blenny
Larva
Larva

Post by blenny »

Look out for calcium iodide as an ingredient in prepared fish/shrimp food, that will be able to provde your shrimps with iodine they need.
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

HI Blenny

Welcome to the forum, didn't see your earlier posts.

Cheers