Okay to move berried cherry red from 29 gallon to 2.5?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

bigheadtai
Egg
Egg

Okay to move berried cherry red from 29 gallon to 2.5?

Post by bigheadtai »

I'm going to take everything out of my 29 gallon and put the few cherry red shrimps I have in a 2.5 gallon tank. Would this kill them? And would I need a heater?

Thanks
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Okay to move berried cherry red from 29 gallon to 2.5?

Post by Bradimus »

bigheadtai wrote:Would this kill them?
Is the 2.5gal cycled?
And would I need a heater?
What is your room temperature?[/quote]
bigheadtai
Egg
Egg

Post by bigheadtai »

I'm using the water from the 29 gallon tank. I moved the java moss from the 29 gallon and put it in 2.5 gallon. Room temperature is around 70+.
Heater would make water more stable? Or would it be a better idea to put the shrimps in a 10 gallon tank?

Also, substrate recommended or bare bottom tank?

Thanks for any help.
amanda_h
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by amanda_h »

Taking water alone from the 29g isn't enough. The majority of the beneficial bacteria live on surfaces, such as filter material and substrate.

To quickly cycle a new tank, you'd do better to take some of the established substrate and filter material if you can.
Heater would make water more stable?
Absolutely. Without a heater, the water temp will fluctuate with the room temperature. If your room gets cooler at night, you can expect your aquarium to as well.
Or would it be a better idea to put the shrimps in a 10 gallon tank?
I would say yes. The larger the aquarium, the easier it is to keep the water parameters stable. If a 10g is an option, go for it.
Also, substrate recommended or bare bottom tank?
That really depends on your goal for this tank. Is it just going to be a new home for the shrimp? Are you hoping to breed them?

From what I understand, the shrimp will be happiest in a well-planted aquarium. But if the plan is to breed them, and remove shrimp regularly, you'll have trouble finding them amongst all the plants. Personally, I'd give them a happy environment and deal with any difficulties I might have with catching them. :wink:
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

As Brad and Amanda said...*get the new tank (whatever size) CYCLED first*!!! Use the "fishless cycle" method (look it up on google). Go get yourself test kits for (at least) Ammonia and Nitrite and check *daily*. If Ammonia and Nitrite (NOT NitrAte) are not at absolute ZERO, do *NOT* put any shrimp in the tank...they will die for sure othewise.

Mustafa