Bubble Bee Shrimp leaving aquarium???

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Bubble Bee Shrimp leaving aquarium???

Post by TKD »

Hi all,

I was away for six days over Christmas and when I got back I found two of my 3 BB on the floor. The last one seems ok and the other shrimp (including the four new cherries that I got when I was away) seem fine.

Any idea as to why those two would leave?

Thanks,

TKD
GunmetalBlue
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by GunmetalBlue »

Hi TKD, sorry to hear that :( what a bummer.

I recall Mustafa always saying shrimp only try to leave the tank if they don't like water parameters or conditions in the tank. My one guess would be that maybe your fish got hungry and chased the shrimp, at which time they leapt.

-GB
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

Hi GB,

I have no other fish in my 15 GL other then then the Clown pleco.

|1 Red Nose, 1 Wood, 1 Amano, 6 Cherries & 1 Bumblebee Shrimp| |Japanese Trap Door Snails...| | Clown Pleco|
(The above stayed in the tank... minus the four new cherries)

Attack snails? lol

TKD
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

how about adverse water conditions? If your ph is still at 7.6 (and probably pretty hard water, too) then that could be a reason for bumblebee shrimp to look for a new home outside your tank. Bumblebee shrimp need soft, acidic water to thrive.
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

Hi Mustafa,

Your explanation is the only one that make's any sense as the other shrimp that I have in there can live at variable pH or live at that pH... with the exception of the BB that is :(

Thanks,

TKD