Plants and Shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

scrimp

Plants and Shrimp

Post by scrimp »

I am very into keeping my plants lush and green but worried about what I add to my tank with shrimp into it. I know you cant add anything with copper but im curious about iron. Are there any concerns about them regarding shrimp? Or adding any plant additives that you should be cautious about with shrimp in the tank?
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

I keep shrimp in a heavily planted tank. I dose with a commericial supplement several times a week. It contains some copper and a significant amount of iron. I have not seen any adverse effects on my shrimp.

When dealing with copper, there are several things to remember. First, copper is essential for life. Yes, even shrimp need copper. High concentrations of copper is toxic to shrimp, algae, plants, and anything else that might be living in your tank. However, if your tank is well planted, the plants are growing well, and you follow the manufacturer's directions, the copper level in your aquarium should remain well below toxic levels.