This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

Gold
Egg
Egg

Dwarf Crayfish in UK?

Post by Gold »

Hey everyone, i am new to the site :)

Some one recommended this site to me, as i am after something...

I have wanted a dwarf crayfish for a very long time, and have done more secondary research on this aquarium inhabitant than any other that I have not actually kept!

I live in Essex in the UK (fairly near London). And I have visited or rung all the aquarium stores and pet stores in my area. Yet none of them have never had, or will have any future orders for any kind of crayfish.

[edited: sorry, but inquiries for animals or offers to sell or exchange animals are not allowed in the forums -- Mustafa]
CanadianCray
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by CanadianCray »

Dwarf crayfish are illegal in the UK. THe only species legal to sell is the Australian Cherax Quad (Red Claw) which is not a small cray by any means.
In the 1970s, the signal crayish (Pacifastacus leniusculus) was introduced to England and Wales for farming, in order to supply the catering trade. Some of these crayfish escaped from the farms and spread extremely quickly (over one mile each day), rapidly colonising freshwater areas inhabited by the native white-clawed crayfish (Austropotamobius pallipes).

The white-clawed crayfish is the UK's only native crayfish. Historically widespread across northern Europe, numbers have dwindled and now the UK population accounts for about 24% of the total population.

In addition to their aggressive nature, signal crayfish also transmit a disease called crayfish plague (Aphanomyces astaci) which has the ability to kill native populations within a few days. The spores from crayfish plague are very easy to spread through water, mud and other live carriers.

In order to combat this problem, legislation under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 was introduced to prohibit the release of non-native crayfish into the wild. In addition, The Prohibition of Keeping of Live Fish (Crayfish) Order 1996 made it an offence to keep any crayfish in England and Wales, except where a licence has been granted. Non-native crayfish for the catering industry are covered by general provisions under the crayfish order and advice is given to prevent them from escaping in to the wild.

Impact for Aquarists

The impact for UK aquarists is that the keeping of "ornamental" crayfish is severely restricted by law. The only exception is the Red-clawed Crayfish (Cherax Quadricarinatus) which is native to tropical Queensland and the Northern Territory of Australia. Cherax Quadricarinatus is considered to be incapable of breeding in the wild in the UK and has therefore been made an exception.

There have been limited cases of the American Procambarus Clarkii and the Australian Cherax Destructor "Yabbie") becoming available in the UK aquarium trade but these are also prohibited.

Cherax Quadricarinatus is available in limited quantities by UK suppliers. Typical prices vary between £4.00 and £12.00 per animal depending on the geographical location of the supplier. Size and coloration also impact on price.

Native Crayfish - Current Locations

The are a number of projects involved in reintroducing and protecting the native population in the UK. Some of the prevalent locations in England can be found in the list below.

River Eden (Cumbria)
River Servern (Birmingham and the Black Country - Penns Hall)
Rivers Wansbeck and Aln (Northumbria)
River Derwent (Tyneside)
River Leen (Nottinghamshire)
Rivers Trent and Soar (Leicestershire)
River Weaver (Cheshire)
Stowe Pool and Chasewater (Staffordshire)
River Wensum (Norwich)