Flaps of Shell...?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Opopanax
Larva
Larva

Post by Opopanax »

I have a experience in fish tanks in the dorm. Depending on your college you may not be allowed to have anything bigger than a 5G tank (Which would stil be an improvment over your 2.5).

If you have the desk/dresser drawer space there is some things you can do to increase the waterflow (and in some cases the water changes). This is really useful if you have a sink in your room you can use.

I've seen this done a few ways, one is having a large "pan" under your 2.5G bowl. If you're worried about dorm regulations you can say it's to prevent "leakage." The other method is to simply have a 2nd bowl as a reservoir.

In both cases you can use a small pump/gravity to encourage water flow from one are to another. For everyone here, this really isn't a "perfect" solution, but it does assist with waterflow conditions since 2.5G water quality goes down hill very fast, especially in stagnant water. In some areas it's simply easier to place 2x2.5G tanks vs one bigger tank, which I emphasize is still preferable.

The nice thing about this is you can stop the flow of water, dump out your reservoir, refill it and treat the water and allow the water to warm up and restart the flow. Easy water change.

There is a lot that can go wrong with this setup. It can be a pain, messy, and let's face it jet setting it up is more difficult than going out and grabbing a 5 or 10 gallon tank. but if you absolutely have no room for a larger tank this might help alleviate things a bit.
fishbreed
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by fishbreed »

haehaehea man you torture your poor animals and you get the attitude lol. j/k hey we all make mistakes dude nothing new. im sure im torturing half my fish and i dont even mean to. im sure the tetras i have hate living in the ultra hard water. must be why they die off. :(