Quality of Shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

bubbagump
<b>BANNED</b>

Quality of Shrimp

Post by bubbagump »

Hi everybody. I'm a little new so please bear with me. I am currently breeding Convict cichlids and am always looking for a good food source. I was thinking about using the cherry/bumble bee hybrids to feed the convicts because they are a prolific breeder. Also I spread these hybrids all over the country and can get more if need be.

Now as far as using them as a food source...

1) Should I feed them a certain diet so that they will be a more well balanced diet for the Convicts?

2) Should I microwave them before I feed them off?

3) Do you think it will be alright to freeze the shrimp for future feedings?

4) What are more nutritious...Adults or Juveniles?

Also, does anybody know why the “cherry reds as feeders” thread is locked up? I could have simply read the answers in that thread instead of posting my questions.

Thanks,

Bubs
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

If you have to ask you are truly clueless. This is not a site about breeding shrimp for food. As soon as Mustafa reads this he'll probably ban you from the forum.

This post is just like going into a kitten forum and asking about using cats for food feeding snakes or the like.

If you want to know how to raise shrimp, that is one thing, but using them for food is not what we are about.
IndianaSam
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by IndianaSam »

I feed my spare shrimp to some Apistogramma borellii that I picked up at a local auction.

They seem to really love the "thrill of the hunt". Also grabbing a few cherries to feed my fish is way easier than doing the whole brine shrimp thing.

There's, of course, no need to microwave them. Your convicts will love the treat even more if the shrimp are alive. Freezing the shrimp is also a good option.

Hope that helped.

IndianaSam
bubbagump
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by bubbagump »

badflash wrote:
This post is just like going into a kitten forum and asking about using cats for food feeding snakes or the like.
Hi badflash. Thanks for the quick response. I did already try to feed the Convicts cat meat however I did not seem to get better growth/breeding rates. I feel that the shrimp meat will be a better more high quality food that they are more likely to encounter in the wild. Also it seemed as though I would get slight ammonia spikes directly after feeding with cat meat. But thanks for the suggestion anyway!

Indianasam wrote:
There's, of course, no need to microwave them. Your convicts will love the treat even more if the shrimp are alive.
Hi Indianasam. I also appreciate the quick response. I guess I should admit the only reason that I considered microwaving the shrimp is because of my own greedy shrimp fetish. I figured that I could just eat what the Convicts didn't instead of eating them alive. They seem to squirm around and tickle the roof of my mouth :?

Thanks again guys!

Bubs
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

is it a virus or they are retarded
sorry if i got direct but you come on a shrimp forum to ask people who love shrimp question about using shrimp as food.

geeze......
bubbagump
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by bubbagump »

zapisto wrote:
is it a virus or they are retarded
Hi zapisto. Thanks for the concern. I don't believe the Convicts have any illness or handicaps. It seems as if they may need a better food source in order to help maximize the number and size of spawns. Your pet shrimp seem to have all the right ingredients in order to make this happen. I wonder though...do the Juveniles contain more nutrients and amino acids than adults? I know it is this way with baby brine versus adult brine.

Your thoughts?

Bubs
cheesenips
Larva
Larva

Post by cheesenips »

Bubba,

You came to the wrong place to ask questions like this. Notice the title of the forum, "THE forum on the internet dedicated to freshwater shrimp and other aquatic invertebrates!"

But since you are here, let me give you some information...

Asking question about breeding shrimp for feeders here would piss alot of people off. :smt029 And of all fishes, you are feeding them to CONVICTS!?! I mean come on, nothing saying there is something wrong with convicts but aren't they like .50cents a piece. IMO, they are easier to breed then some shrimp species. In matter of fact, some fish keepers would often feed extra convicts to their larger fishes. :smt097

I really hope you would think again about feeding shrimp to your fishes. If you still decide to, please dont tell us about it. We dont need to know or do we care. For the most part we are here to learn more about how to keep these shrimp alive and keeping them happy, not breeding them to have them cooked in a microwave and frozen in the fridge.

Sorry if I am being a little harsh, but I am sure alot of other people on this fourm feels the same way.
bubbagump
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by bubbagump »

cheesenips wrote:
shrimp species...are...easier to breed.

think...about breeding...extra...shrimp for...feeding them to CONVICTS...matter of fact...easier...then...feeding...convicts....50cents a piece...fishes.

I agree totally cheesenips! The shrimp are easy to breed and in the long run are a much better/healthier food source than feeder goldfish or feeder guppies. And because of their availability, shrimp are easier and less expensive to feed than feeder fish!

Thanks cheesenips!

Bubs
flash69x
Egg
Egg

Post by flash69x »

to be honest, I would go to the LFS and get some ghost shrimp. They are usually really cheap. With the extra shrimp you are breeding you could try selling them on aquabid or lots of other sites. just my 2 cents. But do what you want, this is America after all.
Caridina sp.
Larva
Larva

Post by Caridina sp. »

Stick your brain in a woodchipper and feed them whatever flies out the other end.. it would be cheaper. Feed $3.50 shrimp to $0.50 fish... BRILIANT! :lol:
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

We have a saying on another board I go too.

Don't feed the troll.

TKD
cheesenips
Larva
Larva

Post by cheesenips »

Okay bubba,

Adding quotations around some garbage you made up and slapping my name on then making it seem like I said it...real mature and innovative 8)

Appearently you are here and doing this because you are just bored. I will leave you to your ignorance.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

I take it you are a little slow.
So i will try this.
If you need help with raising shrimp try researching on THIS dicussion formun.
IT seems you have alot of time on your hands.
So spend alittle of it READING.
IF Mustafa does not ban you from this forum , Do you think anyone will ever answer another question again.

As my mother says "IF YOU HAVE NOTHING GOOD TO SAY, KEEP YOUR D*!? MOUTH SHUT.

I hope this helps
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I was thinking about using the cherry/bumble bee hybrids
OK folks, lets close this thread. Please don't add any more to this. This guy is just trying to antagonize us and he's laughing his head off.

Cherry's and Bumblebees can't hybrized and produce fertile offspring, so the entire thread is bogus from the get-go.
fishcrazee
Larva
Larva

Post by fishcrazee »

Why would you want to feed your ugly convicts cherries? Cherries are so colorful and well cute. If you ever took the time to look at shrimp you will realize that they are actually more interesting than convicts. Convicts are just plain out dull. They are the rabbits of the fish world. If I had any long armed shrimp guess what I'd feed em? That's right, I would love to buy your convicts at hmm $.02 a peice and feed it to the cute little shrimp. Hope you think twice before posting about feeding SHRIMP in a shrimp lovers' forum. Seriously... :smt116