shrimpmates?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

fishcrazee
Larva
Larva

shrimpmates?

Post by fishcrazee »

Are there any good shrimp shrimpmates for RCS? I love my RCS and wanted to see if they would get along with any other shrimp. I'd rather not have any cross breeding. I have about 10 RCS in a 6 gallon tank.
Caridina sp.
Larva
Larva

Post by Caridina sp. »

Yep, read the shrimp varieties pages. Keep species seperate so they don't hybridize.
cheesenips
Larva
Larva

Post by cheesenips »

There are alot of potential shrimpmates for your cherries such as amanos and shrimp from the Caridina species such as bee, bumblebees and tigers (bamboos if you have a larger tank).

However with only a 6 gallons at your disposal, your 10 cherries should turn into 50 very soon if you care for them correctly. Do you really want to overcrowd your tank with more shrimp? It would probabaly be wise to upgrade your tank size before getting more shrimp.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Yes, get a bigger tank and keep them by themselves. The bamboos, bumblebees etc like soft acidic water which is not good for cherries.

I keep them with Amanos which like the same water conditions. The problem is that the amanos are so much more active and big that they sort of cow the cherries. In my cherry only tank the breeding rate is much higher.
fishcrazee
Larva
Larva

Post by fishcrazee »

Thanks for all the help. I know I have a spare 10 gallon hanging around somewhere. I won't have any shrimp mates then. I'm perfectly happy though. I can't wait to see little babies
cheesenips
Larva
Larva

Post by cheesenips »

Nice to hear that :D

More tanks one of the symptoms of the shrimp bug, the growing addiction to shrimp keeping :-D
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Tell me about it. I went from a 5 gallon tank to raise my son's triops to 7 10 gallon, 3 5 gallon, 1 20 gallon and one 40 gallon in 6 months. Now I'm clearing out another part of the basement to set up a 300 gallon pool. I got it bad!
cheesenips
Larva
Larva

Post by cheesenips »

Wow a 300 gallon pool. What are you planning to keep in there?

I really dont have room for more tanks so I ended up converting my African cichlid tanks into planted shrimp tanks. My electric bills been going through the roof with some many wires around especially for lighting and high output airpumps for the many sponge filters.
fishcrazee
Larva
Larva

Post by fishcrazee »

WOW!!!! a 300 gallon pond! I was thinking about moving my RCS to a 10 later when they start building a colony. Then get some green shrimp and keep them where the RCS used to live and get another 10 for them. Then continue this process until... well until my parents get mad...
cheesenips
Larva
Larva

Post by cheesenips »

"Then continue this process until... well until my parents get mad..."

Haha, sounds just like me :wink:
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Wow a 300 gallon pool. What are you planning to keep in there?
I'm attempting to breed M. Rosenbergii. They can have well over 20,000 eggs the 1st time around, and over 100,000 eggs later on per female.. To grow out 1000 baby prawns you need something huge. A 6' round kiddie pool for the right filtration seems to fit the bill. I've seen this done for daphnia, so I see no reason you could not grow post-larval to Juvies in such a setup.
fishcrazee
Larva
Larva

Post by fishcrazee »

exactly why are you planning to breed and raise M. Rosenbergii. Sounds like a really interesting project. I hope you keep us informed and tell us what happens
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Most of this is just to do it. I'm trying to figure out how to raise the more difficult shrimp from a hobiest angle. Rosenbergii are just practice as they are a commercial shrimp, but I'm guessing that bamboos are similar.

For many shrimp if we don't figure out how to do it, they will dissapear from this world.
Caridina sp.
Larva
Larva

Post by Caridina sp. »

What exactly are you going to do with 1000 young adult FW prawns when your done? Sounds like dinner time to me :lol:
fishcrazee
Larva
Larva

Post by fishcrazee »

LOL!! that was my exact thought. I was like... hmm 1000 prawns... that would be nice for dinner :lol: . Now that I know you are testing it to try with rarer speices. I can't wait to see the results. If it turns out successful let us know