Blue Shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

fishcrazee
Larva
Larva

Blue Shrimp

Post by fishcrazee »

I was wondering if there are any actual blue shrimp. I was looking through the forums and saw dyed amanos and blue bumblebees but I was wondering if there is any shrimp that comes with a natural blue coloration. If there are what speices are they, and does anyone have any information on blue shrimp?
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

My male M. Rosenbergii have bright blue arms, the females light blue arms. The males have a light blue tinge to their bodies. M. Rosenbergii are not your run of the mill wimpy shrimp. They will eat everything in your tank, shrimp, snails, plants and all. Don't take these guys on lightly, but they are truly awsome shrimp. Mine are so large at this point that I'm having trouble taking pictures. They are too big for my macro lense!
fishcrazee
Larva
Larva

Post by fishcrazee »

Hmmm.. I was thinking more of the smaller algae eaters. I rather have a small tank and prawns are out of my league currently
Caridina sp.
Larva
Larva

Post by Caridina sp. »

Neocaridina sp. blue are pretty much blue versions of red cherry shrimp. They are frequently available in my area and are just as easy to keep as rcs. The only other blue colored shrimp I know of is Atya gabonensis aka vampire shrimp in which most are blue but some are cream colored... they do get quite large.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Mustafa says these don't breed true and are likely dyed either on purpose, or by some reaction to their food.
See viewtopic.php?t=1199&highlight=blue+neocaridina
fishcrazee
Larva
Larva

Post by fishcrazee »

Yea I read that but I was looking online and saw a lot of neocardinia sp. blue and was wondering if it was true... I guess it's just not time for blue shrimp to appear just yet
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Hello fishcrazee

Next time you see " blue shrimp" on a auction. Ask the seller two simple questions

Are they adult or Juvenile ?

If juvenile do they show any color yet ?.

I bet they will not answer your E-mail.

Just a thought
John