New Shimp To Sell?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

scrimp

New Shimp To Sell?

Post by scrimp »

Mustafa

When will you have any other variety of shrimp to sell? And which will they be?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I will have 2 more species very soon (in about a month or two). One of them is going to be the "Sri Lanka Algae Shrimp" Caridina simoni simoni and the other one will be a shrimp from India, which I have not named yet. It belongs to the Caridina babaulti species group but is not mostly green. It displays various colors ranging from brownish to yellowish to reddish and greenish. The coloration is not as intense as on the cherry reds or green shrimp though. I'll post some pictures and put up a species page for the Indian shrimp soon.

Take care,
Mustafa
Last edited by Mustafa on Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scrimp

Post by scrimp »

How do you find the correct scientific names for each shrimp you might not know what it to be? Or do you just give it a common name and hope it sticks lol.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Generally, you find out what scientific name a shrimp has by keying the anatomy of a shrimp to the keys in scientific papers. The problem is that a lot of shrimp are not even scientifically described. If there is no scientific name for a shrimp or the shrimp has not been keyed yet, then you use a common name (hopefully one that makes sense).

I prefer using the scientific names since it makes it much easier to talk about a certain species of shrimp without having to decipher through dozens of "common names" for the same shrimp. However, if there is no scientific name, then someone has to come up with a common name at least until the scientific name is discovered or the shrimp is scientifically described. It might as well be me to come up with a common name that makes sense for a change. :)

Mustafa
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

Petshrimp.com wrote: It might as well be me to come up with a common name that makes sense for a change. :)
Let's see...a brownish/yellowish/reddish/greenish shrimp from India. There is only one logical choice for a common name for this shrimp: The Galapagos gray lobster. ;-)
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

Tee hee hee :-D
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Let's see...a brownish/yellowish/reddish/greenish shrimp from India. There is only one logical choice for a common name for this shrimp: The Galapagos gray lobster. ;-)

Hahaha...great idea! :-D Or how about this for a shrimp name:
"Manhattan Deep Blue Shrimp" and the shrimp in question is a grey shrimp from Asia that does not even have a hint of blue (I have seen similar "blue" shrimp names before where the shrimp in question were not even close to blue..even if you had a vivid imagination)?

By the way..one Hawaiian outfit that sells Opae Ula (Halocaridina rubra) in those tiny containers calls them "THE AMAZING HAWAIIAN MICRO-LOBSTERS!™" (notice the "trademark" sign). So the Lobster name idea is already taken. :)

Mustafa
Last edited by Mustafa on Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

Petshrimp.com wrote:Hahaha...great idea! :-D Or how about this for a shrimp name:
"Manhattan Deep Blue Shrimp" and the shrimp in question is a grey shrimp from Asia that does not even have a hint of blue?

Mustafa
How about 'Asia Pacific Jr Pewter' since it is smaller than a prawn and bigger than a shrimp? :wink:
scrimp

Post by scrimp »

HAHAHAHA I love it! and thats so true abount the names they come up with.
51Cornell
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by 51Cornell »

Well, the colors listed sound to me like nasty contusions...