Bumblebee Color Variation Questions - Updated!

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

frugalfish
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by frugalfish »

I only had to acclimate this batch to temperature. My local store has the same water quality as I do. Previous batches I tried I had already adjusted my tank to softer/more acidic conditions, thinking that that would be better, however they died nonetheless. As I stated previously I will try to reduce their stress by not having them adjust again to a new water quality and instead leave them in water they have already been in and wait to see if they can get back to a state of good health. After that can be achieved I will then adjust water parameters for breeding. If I find the time I will take some shots and post them for everyone.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Best wishes frugalfish, it sounds like you have been working hard to get them healthy. Hope to see pictures of you health shrmip soon :wink:

Thanks.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

frugalfish wrote: Currently my attempt is to leave them in the same water conditions (hard, high pH) as they have been kept in at the stores and wholesalers locally and then worry about changing their envronment later. Idea is to not cause further stress form fluctuating water parameters and hopefully let them strengthen up and recover form their ordeals.
Although it would seem logical that reducing stress would be a good idea, I really don't think it's the stress from changing ph and conductivity levels that cause them to die. They die because they were going to die anyway due to prior maltreatment. In other words, you can give a shrimp "on the way out" the best conditions and it will still die. I have seen it many more times than I would have liked to.

Good luck with your current batch, though. Who knows....you might get lucky in the end.
Last edited by Mustafa on Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
frugalfish
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by frugalfish »

Mustafa wrote:Although it would seem logical that reducing stress would be a good idea, I really don't think it's the stress from changing ph and conductivity levels that cause them to die. They die because they were going to die anyway due to prior maltreatment. In other words, you can give a shrimp "on the way out" the best conditions and it will still die. I have seen it many more times than I would have liked to.
All too true.Perhaps I'm really just reducing my own stress about adjusting water parameters, especially pH. :P But it always comes down to expecting the worst, hoping for the best. :D
frugalfish
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by frugalfish »

Here are some pics of my new batch...

Not the best images as I tend to shake way to much for macro shots, but they'll have to do. :P
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for the pics. As long as you keep them picking they should be fine. :)
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Great pictures of your bumble bee shrimp :-D What are the other shrimp you keep them with that are shown in the pictures?

Thanks.
frugalfish
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by frugalfish »

The other shrimp are 'Snowballs'. Population of those has recently exploded again.