Help! Ghost Shrimp with White Ribbon Inside

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Pugio
Larva
Larva

Post by Pugio »

Debi
Larva
Larva

Little guy won't make it... Poor Thing!!

Post by Debi »

Hi Everyone,

Sad to say, but the little shrimp which had the worm within it isn't going to make it. It's been turning upside down. It's still trying to swim, but it keeps bumping into everything. I feel so bad, the poor thing has been through alot.

I'm still trying to upload 2 of the movies but the session keeps timing out.

When I put the drop of bleach in, the worm started to break itself into sections, and then is just disolved, gone.. except I saw tiny (really tiny) floating white dots. Really weird!!

My blue snails are happy to be back in their own tank, of course I completely tore it apart and cleaned everything. I didn't want to take any chances.

I should tell everyone that I do think that worm would have escaped from the netted birthing net that I originally had placed the shrimp in. The worm had really pointed tips, which I believe it would have used to escape from the net.
Debi
Larva
Larva

Movie of worm

Post by Debi »

Hi Everyone,

This is a small movie of the worm before I took it out of the tank, you can see the Parasite Clear tablet fizzing in the tank, but I want to point out that it did not cause the worm to move as it does in the tank, it was making these movements before I added the medication. It's a little blurry, but you'll get an idea of what I saw.

http://h1.ripway.com/splashie/WhiteWorm3.MOV

I'm still trying to upload the other movie, where you can see the worm starting to break up after I put the drop of bleach in. I might not be able to post it until tomorrow.

Debi
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Sad to say, but the little shrimp which had the worm within it isn't going to make it. It's been turning upside down. It's still trying to swim, but it keeps bumping into everything. I feel so bad, the poor thing has been through alot.
Sorry to hear about it, keep an eye on it maybe it will make it after all :?
I'm still trying to upload the other movie, where you can see the worm starting to break up after I put the drop of bleach in. I might not be able to post it until tomorrow.
That was a nice live shot of the worm, can't wait to see the other movie :o
Debi
Larva
Larva

Another Worm Movie

Post by Debi »

OK, this is a movie with the worm already broken up, but parts of it are still alive.

I'm still trying to upload the movie where you can see it start breaking itself apart, it may be too big (I'm still using dialup :cry: ).

The session keeps timing out.

In this movie you can all see where it's starting to desolve.

http://h1.ripway.com/splashie/100_7494.MOV
Debi
Larva
Larva

The Poor Shrimp

Post by Debi »

Hi Everyone,

Forgot to mention, the poor little guy who had this worm in it didn't make it through the night. Wish there was something I could have done to save the little guy.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

In this movie you can all see where it's starting to desolve.
:shock: that is weird looking! So that it what bleach can do :o
Sorry to hear about the shrimp. The whole experience really took a toll on your shrimp :(
Debi
Larva
Larva

The poor shrimp

Post by Debi »

Hi Neonshrimp,

Thanks, I still feel bad for what that poor little shrimp went through. Question, when it started dying, it turned this bluish white instead of it's normal clear color - any idea of what caused this? Was it's cells dying? I have a photo if you need me to post it just let me know.

Thanks again,

Debi
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

A photo will be very helpful. I think when shrimp are sick or dying (these two usually go hand in hand) there is a chemical release that cause the white color. I once revived a shrimp for a while and had the white go away until the shrimp died :(
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

If you remember the 1st alien movie, you'll see how these things come out. They will go right out through the body if they need too and rarely pass through the digestive system. When they burst through the side of the shrimp, survival is rare.
Debi
Larva
Larva

White vs. Clear Shrimp

Post by Debi »

Ok, here's a photo of one of my healthy shrimp, which is clear:

And here's the one that had the worm in it, it was still alive in this photo, but laying on it's back, it has a white tint to it:

This just boggles my mind!!
Debi
Larva
Larva

Post by Debi »

Badlash,

You think that's what happened? That worm had to be at least 3x's the size of the shrimp...
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Yes, I',m pretty sure. I've seen them come out both ways. Best bet is to bring an opto-visor with you when you buy the shrimp so you can see any infected ones. Fortunately, this is rare and it looks like the life cycle of the parasite precudes re-infection. bad news is that some species can infect humans. Pretty disgusting.

We are starting to discover all sorts of mind altering parasites. They bend the host's will to their needs. They cause snails to expose them selves to birds, cripple frogs so they are easy prey, cause mice to lose their feat of cats, worms that force their hosts to the water. All because of their odd life cycle.

The world is not an easy place to live in.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

We are starting to discover all sorts of mind altering parasites. They bend the host's will to their needs. They cause snails to expose them selves to birds, cripple frogs so they are easy prey, cause mice to lose their feat of cats, worms that force their hosts to the water. All because of their odd life cycle.

The world is not an easy place to live in.

:shock: :shock: :shock: I thought you were kidding, now you have caused me much concern :!:
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Not kiddng. These issues are well documented. Rare in humans in North America, but common in Africa and South America.