opae ula vs. Metabetaeus Lohena eating routines? different?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: opae ula vs. Metabetaeus Lohena eating routines? different?

Post by Vorteil »

Major development on the island of Oaha have taken out most of the ponds. I believe there's quite a few pools on the Eva side of the island. Extremely difficult to get to. Some locals know exactly where they are and defintely won't tell where they are. That island has been the most affected. I believe there's planty on Maui and the Big Island but that's just my opinion.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: opae ula vs. Metabetaeus Lohena eating routines? different?

Post by Mustafa »

It's not just Oahu. It's all islands that are affected. As for having a count of the animals..it's kinda hard to do with animals that live partially underground. What we do know is that they are endemic or near endemic to Hawaii and that if their above ground habitats disappear they may also, over time, disappear or be too severely diminished to recover. There is research that seems to indicate that anchialine pools are essential because they provide food that is hard to find underground. The pools are basically their feeding grounds, even if they retreat underground if necessary. Less feeding = less reproduction = less shrimp over time.

And yes, M. lohena are all from the wild and they occur in even lower numbers (much lower) than the Supershrimp.