Natural sponges in shrimp tanks

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

TurtleBoyPW5
Larva
Larva

Post by TurtleBoyPW5 »

I am also in the process of testing this, I bought ten small "natural sea sponges" from wally world for about three dollars. So far I have had four of them soaking in dechlorinated water for 3-4 days and one day on aged water. My sponges are significantly smaller than the ones you are using because I only have a 5.5 gallon tank w/ live plants and 40-60 cherry shrimp (I am in a college dorm :( ) mine are about three inches long at most. I plan on putting them in my gf's fish tank which is very well established and has 4 fish, 4 ghost shrimp, and a damn blue ramshorn snail which i threw into her aquarium after I discovered about 20 baby snails and eggs in my shrimp only tank. Now here aquarium has 12 sets of eggs :(.

I hope after a few days in the fish tank they will be ok for my shrimp!

Ill let you know the results.
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Well if I happen to see one at any store I go to, I guess I'll buy it ... maybe even put it into my turtle's tank for a while before adding it to the 5.5 gallon tank.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

We are doing this at our own risk. Until we know what can go wrong and why for sure it is still experimental. So please share your experiences or wait and see what happens for those who are trying it :!:
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Neonshrimp wrote:We are doing this at our own risk. Until we know what can go wrong and why for sure it is still experimental. So please share your experiences or wait and see what happens for those who are trying it :!:
Yeah I know, I don't want anything wrong happining, so I am just going to wait for your results :)
Asian_Vampire
Larva
Larva

Post by Asian_Vampire »

My brother gave me these floating "bio balls." He says that if you just let them float around in your tank, they'll work as a backup filter. Needless to say, my shrimp love snacking on the microorganisims :)
TurtleBoyPW5
Larva
Larva

Post by TurtleBoyPW5 »

Just put the four small sponges in the fish tank, after two hours neither the ghost shrimp or the fish are flippin out, all looks fine. On a side note the sponges smelled of the aged aquarium water not of sponge, maybe some sponges are treated and others are not, who knows!
Terran
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Terran »

TurtleBoyPW5 wrote:Just put the four small sponges in the fish tank, after two hours neither the ghost shrimp or the fish are flippin out, all looks fine. On a side note the sponges smelled of the aged aquarium water not of sponge, maybe some sponges are treated and others are not, who knows!
Im optimistic about what your saying since it sounds more familiar... I hope there are more positive reports....and Mustafa's ends up being more of an isolated incident...

Maybe brand is important
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Maybe brand is important
Please let us know what brands you have used.

Thanks.
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Neonshrimp wrote:
Maybe brand is important
Please let us know what brands you have used.

Thanks.
Yes please :) I am really interested in this. :shock:
TurtleBoyPW5
Larva
Larva

Post by TurtleBoyPW5 »

After about 18 hrs fish and shrimp are fine, one ghost shrimp is actually having fun hiding out in the sponge.

Again my sponges were purchased at wally world by the arts and crafts stuff. They are made by "PLAID" and were $3.24 for a pack of 12 3inch sponges.

Here is what the label looks like...

Image[/img]
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

My sponges are watercolor sponges by Royal & Langnickey from a local arts and crafts store. I am still soaking it in a small tank with just snails and plants at the moment.

TurtleBoyPW5, could you please resize the photo. It makes reading the page more difficult with the photo so large.

Thanks.
Terran
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Terran »

I have four tanks with sponges in them.....and each tank has a different brand....

But I only have one that I still have the package....

the Brand is EZ ONE

"Natural Wool Sea Sponge
Finest Quality Wool
Used by the professionals for faux painting
Outlasts Natural "Green Sea Sponges"

On the back of the package it says

The Cut Natural Wool Sea Sponge is the king of natural sponges because it grows in deep waters, its fibers are strong and have good elasticity, this sponge is soft whether wet or dry with proper care it can be used many times over. It is more absorbent and longer lasting than the natural grass sponges.
TurtleBoyPW5
Larva
Larva

Post by TurtleBoyPW5 »

hmm My sponges when dry were hard and stiff...

Update- Sponges is fish tank, ghost shrimp and fish are fine after over a day.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Are there activity on the sponge? Do you see shrimp near or on it? Hope it works well for you :wink:
TurtleBoyPW5
Larva
Larva

Post by TurtleBoyPW5 »

2 ghost were on top of it, 2 were underneath (there propped up alil bit by plants)