This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

YuccaPatrol
That is great news.
Wild caught Crayfish, and they are breeding in under a month.

Keep up the good work, From what it sounds like, you will need more nursery tanks.

John
milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by milalic »

Any updated pictures?

-Pedro
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

No new photos. I am waiting for that berried female to pose for me but I don't want to disturb her just for a photo. . .
FISH WORLD ERIE
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by FISH WORLD ERIE »

try dimming the lights and feed some pellets in the corner. They fall for this trick sometimes. :wink:
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

I saw the berried female again tonight, but she is only carrying two of the original 10 eggs.

In the larger tank, I had allowed a few of the ghost shrimp I collected to stay just to add a little bit of interest. However, they have been disappearing and I noticed last night that it seems that the crays like to cut the legs off of the shrimp before they eat them. So although the two live together in the same stream, they are not really great tank mates. . .
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

Today I found another berried female. This one is much larger and is carrying many more eggs.

I believe she is the same "large" female that I witnessed mating a few days ago. Curiously, this female is now missing both of her claws and I wonder if they were lost during mating?

She is safe now that she is isolated in the nursery tank, so hopefully her missing claws won't really make a difference to her for now.
milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by milalic »

YuccaPatrol wrote:Today I found another berried female. This one is much larger and is carrying many more eggs.

I believe she is the same "large" female that I witnessed mating a few days ago. Curiously, this female is now missing both of her claws and I wonder if they were lost during mating?

She is safe now that she is isolated in the nursery tank, so hopefully her missing claws won't really make a difference to her for now.
Sometimes males get too aggresive during mating and females loose the claws. She will eventually get them back.
Cableguy
Larva
Larva

Post by Cableguy »

dang yuccapatrol, congrats, i wish there were some dwarf crays in the midwest =(
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

There are a few auctions for dwarf crays listed on aquabid now.
Cableguy
Larva
Larva

Post by Cableguy »

yeah, those ones from germany have a whole lot of shipping though, makes them just a tad pricey for my taste
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

guys...let's keep the items for sale and pricing out of here.
Cableguy
Larva
Larva

Post by Cableguy »

my bad
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

:oops: Sorry, I was hopping around the 'net, and the e-mail alert about a new post came up... I responded w/out thinking. Too many forums, not enough brain to keep 'em straight sometimes.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

YuccaPatrol
This is a picture of my Wild form Dwarf Mexican. She has lost both of her claws, the last 2 times she has mated.
Her claws are still very small. If this keeps happening, She may never grow them back.

John
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Great picture NewJohn. What is the average number of babies per hatching? Is it the same number as other dwarf crays?