Crystal red question

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

zacasonapan
Larva
Larva

Crystal red question

Post by zacasonapan »

My Crystal reds don't seem to be as bright colored as when I first got them. The bright red is light red now and the white is kinda translucent almost see-through and not very much white at all. Is the color change due to the molting cause they seem to be growing. Or is it from my ph being to high cause some one told me that crystal reds prefer a ph around 6.5 to 6.8

My PH is between 7.2 and 7.4

Thanks
Pete
Pigheaddd
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Pigheaddd »

Pete,

probably your NH3 is too high. will they eat normally? pH between 6.2~7.2, temp 22~27 degree C, and kH 2~6 should be fine.

Tim
zacasonapan
Larva
Larva

Post by zacasonapan »

Hi Tim,

My I have no ammonia in my tank or at least that’s what my test kit tells me. My Crystals are eating normally, they are quick to get food when I drop some in and they always seem to be pooping :D My temp is at
75 F. but I'm not sure what my kH is at cause I never tested it before. I will go out and buy a kH test kit tomorrow.

Pete
Piscesgirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Piscesgirl »

It is good that you are getting a kh kit -- if the water is too low in kh, the shrimp may not be getting enough calcium as discussed in another thread. I agree first monitor Ammonia and NitrItes because shrimp can't tolerate either.

What are you feeding them, by the way?

You may want to microwave a sweet potato until it is cooked properly enough for human consumption, then let it cool, and feed them a little scoop out of the middle. Not only do they enjoy this treat, but I think it provides them with Beta Carotene and other important vitamins. I do this once every couple weeks. (eat the rest of the potato. make sure not to cook it with any oils, etc, just microwave)
zacasonapan
Larva
Larva

Post by zacasonapan »

Hello Piscesgirl,

I feed my shrimps algae wafers, flakes, brine shrimp, blood worms, basically what ever I feed my fish. The shrimps get more then their fair share cause the fish I have in the tank are small ( Cardinals & Rummynose tetras ) and the shrimp have no trouble snagging food away from the fishes.

Thanks again
Pete