Glass and Cherries....

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

naja002
Egg
Egg

Glass and Cherries....

Post by naja002 »

Hi Everybody,

From what I've read there should be no problems housing Glass Shrimp - Palaemonetes paludosus and Cherries together.

I have a 29gal. with Cherries in it, and I am looking to breed them just to stock my other tanks and just for the heck of it. I also have a Thread algae problem in that tank that is very persistant and I believe it is mostly related to my lighting setup. I had a minor Thread Algae problem in another tank (55gal)--until I added about 40 Glass shrimp (Palaemonetes paludosus)--Now the Thread algae is gone--not a trace of it!

I've done some surfing and I understand what the Palaemonetes paludosus
Profile here says at Petshrimp.com:
This species has proven to be extremely peaceful in my tanks. They neither harm fish (not even the tiniest of fry) nor smaller shrimp. Even tiny shrimp larvae of algae eating shrimp are left alone.
I guess my question is more toward "Stress"---Will the addition of some Palaemonetes paludosus add any stress to the Cherries' tank that would affect their willingness to breed?

Thanx!
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

My experience with them is negative. I witnessed them kill several of my smaller shrimp and eat them. Mustafa believes this was because the shrimp were already n trouble, so who knows. I would not take the chance. They will eat hair algae if there is nothing else for them to eat as will amanos.

Thread algae is usually caused by excess phosphates, so do be aware of that. Cutting down on the light hours per day also helps.
Caridina sp.
Larva
Larva

Post by Caridina sp. »

Your cherry shrimp would take care of that algae problem in high enough numbers and veeery limited feeding. Get a good population going and reduce feeding, help them with the battle by cutting as much algae out as you can. Then reduce lighting for a week or so. The point is to get the amount of algae low enough for the cherries to eat more than can grow in one day.. You'll eventually see the algae disapear.
naja002
Egg
Egg

Post by naja002 »

Thread algae is usually caused by excess phosphates, so do be aware of that.
Thanx. If memory serves, its actually caused by the P and Nitrate ratio being out of wack. I rarely dose P so that could be the problem. I'm waiting on test kits now, but many of them lack any real accuracy anyway.
Your cherry shrimp would take care of that algae problem in high enough numbers and veeery limited feeding.
That's been the problem--Waiting on a large enough population to develop.
I was looking to add some ghost shrimp to help out during the wait and then remove them later. They have done and are still doing a Great job in my 55gal. When the 29gal shrimp tank starts getting over-loaded--I'll start adding cherries to the 55gal and eliminating the Ghost shrimp.

Anyway, Thanx for the Input--I guess I am going to sit back and ponder it for a while longer. I switched from 100% sand to about 80% flourite/20% sand and that seems to have helped quite a bit.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Check your water supply and increase your water changes if you are not already doing 20% weekly water changes. When I had excessive phosphates they would barely breed at all. Now I've got loads.

Phosphates can ride in on well water, town water, etc. and can build up if water isn't changed frequently enough.