Safe filters for shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

infrared
Egg
Egg

Safe filters for shrimp

Post by infrared »

Hi..

I've seen quite a few posts here regarding what power or sponge filter works best for shrimp. I'm not an expert on the topic of filtration, but I have had good success with the Filtermax line of pre-filters. Originally, I purchased some for my dwarf puffer tank since those guys kept getting stuck on the Aquaclear 200 inlet pipe. But I've found many uses for them over the last few months including fish fry tanks, as well as shrimp tanks

I believe they come in three sizes - filtermax I, II, and III. Personally, I've used the Filtermax I and II. They have all different sized fittings, adapters and elbows that come with the filter. I've only used mine on some Aquaclear 200 (now called the Aquaclear 50) filters. I'm pretty sure it would fit on the Aquaclear 300 (now called the 70) filters. The foam supplied with the filtermax comes in fine and coarse so you can customize the pre-filter foam based on the size of your shrimp.

Currently, I've got my CRS shrimp (purchased from petshrimp.com of course) in a 10g tank with some corydoras fry utilizing the filtermax pre-filter and it's working out great. If you do some google searches online, you should be able to find them. One of the more popular online fishroom supply stores that starts with the letter J carries them.

..Peter
Sannie
Egg
Egg

Post by Sannie »

I actually prefer the spongefilters, because no young shrimp can get caught in the filter housing and they graze of the sponges (especially for youngsters, there's a lot of good nutricients in the sponge).
Also, the spongefilters are air-driven, that meens that there is al lot more oxigen resolved in the water. Shrimps like that ;)