Filter shrimps and babies...

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

gr81
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Filter shrimps and babies...

Post by gr81 »

Hello I have tanks with CRS & RCS. I like very much A. gabonesis and A. molucensis. Can I put some of them to tanks with RCS/CRS? Will not "filters" catch and eat newly hatched shrimps?
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Caridina sp.
Larva
Larva

Post by Caridina sp. »

This shrimp should be kept in community tanks with small, peaceful fish and/or shrimp and sufficient current. This is preferable to a species tank as its tank mates produce the detritus necessary for the microorganisms in the filter to thrive and reproduce. The microorganisms, in turn, are carried by the current to the filter shrimp and filtered out of the water as food. This way, the filter shrimp does not need to be specifically fed. Targeted feeding might actually deteriorate water parameters and harm the tank inhabitants, as it's very hard to gauge how much this shrimp actually needs to be fed.
Filter feeders eat microscopic organisms from the water, baby RCS although tiny to our eyes are hardly microscopic and will be safe. I keep Atya gabonensis with RCS and always have a surplus of RCS.