Hey Amanda

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Hey Amanda

Post by amber2461 »

Hi

I am very curious as to where to you go to purchase your shrimps? I would very much like to purchase some too but cannot find a LFS that sells any shrimps.

amanda_h
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by amanda_h »

Hey Amber

I got them at Aquariums West on Burrard. Right now they've just got Japonicas and Chameleon shrimp (predators, you don't want them in with anything smaller than them). They're trying to get others, but they're waiting on their supplier.

I've also seen cherries at Big Al's.

If you find anywhere else, I'd love to hear about it!
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

Hey Amanda

You are lucky ... everytime I go there, there is usually nothing .. now I know who the real culprit is ... :wink:

I love the shrimps that you got from them, it would have been nice had they more of what you got .. but oh well ...

I have 10 Japonicas in my 10 gallon tank (got those from King Ed), 3 ghost shrimps and 5 pearl shrimps in another 10 gallon (from King Ed too) but other than that, I would love to have other shrimps as well.

I got my Atya Gabonensis from them Aquariums West (both males) and they used to fight when first introduced into the tank (with no other inhabitants either !) but have stopped since (I can only assume that one is Alpha and the other is not :D )
amanda_h
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by amanda_h »

amber2461 wrote:...now I know who the real culprit is ... :wink:
Who, me? :-D

When they get little shrimp like cherries & the green shrimp I got, they float them in a breeding trap instead of setting them loose in a tank. And quite often they're not labelled. So just keep an eye out for breeding traps. But I call first dibs. :wink:
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

amanda_h wrote: Who, me? :-D

Yes you

When they get little shrimp like cherries & the green shrimp I got, they float them in a breeding trap instead of setting them loose in a tank. And quite often they're not labelled. So just keep an eye out for breeding traps. But I call first dibs. :wink:

I will call them before I go again the next time, but it can be quite frustrating as I live in Surrey and that is FAR away from where they are.
amanda_h
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by amanda_h »

Amber, I go there all the time. If you want, I can give you a heads-up the next time I see some there.

Do you wanna pm me with contact info?
scrimp

Post by scrimp »

You both are lucky, I cant find anything locally. While i think its cool that you can buy stuff online there is soemthing about buying them in person that feels better. Online you have to buy in bulk you can never just get one or two you know. I havent been able to find any shrimp in the so cal area in about 5-6 months now :(
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

Hey scimp

Don't feel so bad okay? It took me almost a year to come across a LFS that sells shrimp ... you are almost there :D
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

How mutch do you buy them for in Vancouver?
I have not been able to find any here in Victoria.... any ideas?

Thanks,

TKD
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

Which shrimps are you referring to TKD?
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

cherries & the green

Sorry,

TKD
amanda_h
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by amanda_h »

Hey TKD

I've seen cherries for between $8 & $12 ea, and I heard someone else say they'd seen them for $6-ish. I think I paid $4-something for the greens.