Having trouble with shrimp ID

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

cyndayco
<b>BANNED</b>

Having trouble with shrimp ID

Post by cyndayco »

First of all, I'm sorry that I have no pics to show, because my tank is a low-light set-up, and my camera has such bad shutter-lag that it's impossible to catch these creatures on camera.

Secondly, I live in SE Asia...just so we can rule out certain species like the American glass shrimp.

I bought these "neocaridina" sp. shrimp that are whitish, transparent, with dark innards and black eyes. No other kind of markings. They looked a lot like ghost shrimp. Personality-wise, they're very active, crawling and sailing all over the tank.

After a couple of weeks, they began to grow a bit yellowish, like mustard, with a distinct whitish stripe that ran from the nose, down. A few had saddles. The mustard-y color, I attributed to the pellets that I fed them.

Then, a couple started carrying eggs. When I saw that one had large white eggs, I thought that perhaps I had the most unbelievable luck of having snowball shrimp.

But then another shrimp showed light greenish eggs.

For comparison, I bought another batch from the LFS. Some were as large as my pregnant shrimp. so obviously, these new guys were adults. But they were still transparent "white" with no discernible white stripe in the back.

So...why do some adults have stripes and others don't?

Why the difference in egg color, even when the shrimp belonged to the same batch? Do eggs change color at different stages of gestation?

What kind of shrimp do you think I have?

P.S. I checked the German/Danish/Dutch/? database. With the exception of the snowballs, nothing there looked remotely like my shrimp.