Anybody know anything about breeding red-noses?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Hanzo
Egg
Egg

Anybody know anything about breeding red-noses?

Post by Hanzo »

I have several of this shrimps, and would like to breed them since they are hard to come by here in Norway. But information on breeding this guys are skimpy to say the least. All I have been able to get is that they seem to want brackish water. Anybody know anything more, or have some links to share?
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

I thought that C. gracilirostris was listed on the Shrimp Varieties Page, but it appears that I must have been hallucinating.

If memory serves, the larvae go through a planktonic stage that requires extremely fine food in addition to brackish water.
Hanzo
Egg
Egg

Post by Hanzo »

But to they breed in fresh water, and then you move to larva to brackish water like the amano shrimp, or the to parents need brackish to?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yes...the larvae hatch in freshwater and need to be moved to brackish/saltwater. As far as I know there are no reports of successful breeding for this species. I have a related species here with similar requirements (the males have a *yellow* rostrum) and I will try to breed them. I have ovigerous females running around, but no larvae yet. We'll see what happens.

Mustafa
Hanzo
Egg
Egg

Post by Hanzo »

Ah, then I must just be a bad parent. So fare no egg's even. Have you had any sucsess with Amano's yourself? I have tons of shrimps with eggs, but I haven't really tried to breed them yet.