White tiger shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

edinjapan
Shrimp
Shrimp

White tiger shrimp

Post by edinjapan »

Has anybody ever come across these shrimp before? I look at them and think that they are not worth what he wants for them. [edit by Mustafa: the guy wants $100.00 per pair] What do you think?

IndianaSam
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by IndianaSam »

Weird lookin' shrimp. I've never seen them before.
Shrimp&Snails
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Shrimp&Snails »

Looks like some weird crossbreed between a tiger and a green shrimp.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Posting a link to an auction is a non-no in this forum. When you come in the front door tothe forum is states:
Please do not post any product advertisements here. Also, DO NOT INQUIRE ABOUT SHRIMP FOR SALE OR OFFER SHRIMP FOR SALE, since this forum is for the exchange of information only.
So be advised. If you want to ask about a shrimp you can download the picture & info and ask about it here, but don't link to aquabid
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Badflash is right. No links to commercial sites offering shrimp. Hence, I have fixed the thread to just display the picture of the shrimp. Ed, please just link the picture in the future to avoid breaking the rules. You should know better by now. ;) :smt018

Having said that, it looks like a very interesting shrimp...solid white coloration. In most cases I would have said this is a sick shrimp, but in this case it actually looks like the shrimp is nice and healthy (although it's still very hard to tell just by a picture). As for the price...it's all supply and demand. The only problem I see with charging such high prices is that it hinders the spread of the shrimp hobby. You can't do much with one pair, especially when one of them dies on you suddenly, and buying 5-10 shrimp to breed them will set you back $250-$500. Not everyone can afford that, especially considering that there is absolutely no information about this shrimp and you would have to use trial and error to figure out what water conditions it needs to breed. Trial and error would be very expensive at $100.00 per pair.

The good thing about supply and demand is that no price, however high, *forces* you to buy it. So, if nobody (or not enough people) buys this guy's shrimp then he will be forced to lower the price in the end anyway..especially if the shrimp is a pretty productive breeder.

On the other hand, if he is the only guy who has this shrimp and the shrimp are pretty hard to breed and not that productive, then this price or even higher prices might be justified as there are not that many shrimp to sell to begin with. So, if there is a high demand, but low supply the prices will go up. Again, nobody forces people to buy anything at any price.
milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by milalic »

Do you think it is a neocaridina species? To me it looks similar to a caridina sp 'rocket' shrimp which do not breed in freshwater. It breeds similar to the amanos.

I have seen this shrimp or a very similar one posted in a different forum. Their colors varied.The guy in this forum catched them in a river in Indonesia.

I sent the person sellin the Super White tiger an e-mail with questions on this shrimp and other he has. To my surprise all of them are classified as Neocaridina denticulata sp. "wild". The common names vary from Crystal Yellow shrimp to Super White tiger shrimp. From his photos these two shrimp look very different.

Pedro
Shrimp&Snails
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Shrimp&Snails »

I asked the seller if these shrimp were a tiger/green shrimp cross and if not what species are they?

No reply....go figure. :roll:

I'm no expert but I think someone's been making inbred mutants.
Snowball
Egg
Egg

Post by Snowball »

E-mails I received:

Thank you for your question.

Common Name: Super White Tiger Shrimp
Scientific Name: Neocaridina denticulata sp."wild"
Temperature: wide range, but best kept at 20℃-25℃
Water Parameters: Ph 6.6-7.0
Food: Algae, fish food (flake, pellets etc)
Origin: Okayama Japan
Larval Development Type: Completely Suppressed: Larvae assume a benthic
lifestyle after hatching, i.e. they are miniature versions of the adults.
There is no planktonic larval stage.

Best Regards,

Nishiwaki

Thank you for your order.
Please pay me the shipping cost of from Japan to Bangkok and please pay to
the shipping cost of from Bangkok to the U.S.A your transhipper.

Our transhipper At xmanbettas@yahoo.com

From Japan to Bangkok by EMS
Super White Tiger Shrimp 1pair about 1.5cm
EMS cost, US$26.00
Packing cost 1box, US$5.00

From Bangkok to the U.S.A your transhipper.
Super White Tiger Shrimp 1pair about 1.5cm
Shipping cost : US$10.00
cool pack cost : 5.00

TOTAL US$46.00

Best Regards,
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

milalic wrote:Do you think it is a neocaridina species?
Hard to say. I'd need a more "close-up" photo. Judging from the rostrum and the general body shape it could actually be a Neocaridina. Neocridinda denticulata denticulata (note: different from Neocaridina denticulata sinensis = red cherry) is native to Japan and kept by Japanese. I could imagine that mutations of this species could occur.
To me it looks similar to a caridina sp 'rocket' shrimp which do not breed in freshwater. It breeds similar to the amanos.
Actually, it looks nothing like that. If you're referring to the shrimp called "green rocket" or "emerald green" (different exporters use different names) then it actually does breed in freshwater. I've had those shrimp before. Their rostrum is *much* longer than the rostrum of the depicted shrimp.
I have seen this shrimp or a very similar one posted in a different forum. Their colors varied.The guy in this forum catched them in a river in Indonesia.
I doubt they are the same shrimp. Sick or stressed out or "infested" shrimp can look very similar, even if they are caught in the wild, but this shrimp does not seem sick or stressed to me.
The common names vary from Crystal Yellow shrimp to Super White tiger shrimp. From his photos these two shrimp look very different.
I saw the crystal yellow shrimp. Very interesting. Although the photo is not very clear, it could also be a N. denticulata denticulata mutation.

It would be nice if this guy told us what wild species produced these muations.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Shrimp&Snails wrote:
Remember, red cherry shrimp are "inbred mutants", too. ;) All color variations are mutations that have been selectively bred out of a few animals.
Last edited by Mustafa on Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Snowball wrote:Larval Development Type: Completely Suppressed: Larvae assume a benthic
lifestyle after hatching, i.e. they are miniature versions of the adults.
There is no planktonic larval stage.
Looks like Nishiwaki is reading my website as this is taken word for word from my shrimp varieties pages.
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

Ya, but is that good or bad? :?

TKD
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

TKD wrote:Ya, but is that good or bad? :?

TKD
It's good if he's learning from it. Not good at all if he's plagiarizing information to make it look like the information comes from him instead of from this website. I think that's what kind of happened here. :roll: You have no idea how many people try to pull that off though...read information here and act like they knew it all along without ever mentioning the source.
Shrimp&Snails
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Shrimp&Snails »

Mustafa wrote:
Shrimp&Snails wrote:
Remember, red cherry shrimp are "inbred mutants", too. ;) All color variations are mutations that have been selectively bred out of a few animals.
Hey my cherrys took offence to that remark. :wink: :lol:

Seriously though.....is this something we are likely to see poppping up more and more?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Shrimp&Snails wrote: Hey my cherrys took offence to that remark. :wink: :lol:
They know what they are. ;)
Seriously though.....is this something we are likely to see poppping up more and more?
Yes, it's going to be just like the aquarium fish hobby. First the wild-type shrimp will spread and then mutations will be selectively bred. Seems to be the norm in every pet hobby.