Need help to identify this critter

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

MoltenLava
Egg
Egg

Need help to identify this critter

Post by MoltenLava »

Hello,

I am a newbie trying to start out a small Cherry shrimp tank. I have started with about 20 baby shrimps a month ago. They have been molting, and growing steadily, and I think I have several females in the population.

Today I even noticed one of the female started carrying eggs. :D The pregnant shrimp looks a little pale now, but it used to be bright red. Maybe she's exhausted after the long labor.

Also today, I noticed a strange critter in my tank. It's the size of adult Cherry shrimp. It might have come into the tank with the plants, but anyways I was very surprised that something this large went unnoticed until today. It's brown in color, long stick figure, and has three pointy tails. To me it looks pretty benign, but I don't want to take any chances if it could harm the shrimps especially with pregnant shrimps and pretty soon lots of baby shrimps. I'm wondering if someone could identify this critter. Can it coexist with the shrimps in my tank?

Beansly
Egg
Egg

Post by Beansly »

It looks to be some kind of insect larvae, maybe a mayfly. Hopefully not a dragonfly larvae, which you would definitely have to worry about, since they are predaceous.
Shrimp&Snails
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Shrimp&Snails »

I would remove the larvae just in case it starts to eat your shrimplets.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Looks like a damselfly larva. It will eat adult shrimp too. Kill it fast!
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

badflash wrote:Looks like a damselfly larva. It will eat adult shrimp too. Kill it fast!
I second that. It does appear to be a damselfly larva.
MoltenLava
Egg
Egg

Post by MoltenLava »

Thanks all. It indeed looks like damselfly larvae. I'll remove it from my tank asap and maybe look for a pond nearby to release it.

Perhaps it wasn't the best thing to have purchased pond grown plants for my fishtank. I have another infestation problem with something else. They are so small, and I can't even capture with my camera. They are the size of pinhead or a dust. It looks like tiny little bugs. They are so small, and can't see them unless you sit inches away from the fishtank and look. At first I noticed just a few, but now I can see hundreds of them on the glass. They seem to be cluttered around algae, maybe feeding off them. I don't even know how to begin to get rid of them from my tank..
BM
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by BM »

I had those before too. I'm not sure what they were exactly, but I did some research online, I found out that they're caused by over feeding (in my case anyway). Just drop a mollie or two in there, or a couple of guppies, they'll eat them up real quick.
Shrimp&Snails
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Shrimp&Snails »

These fellas come in when we introduce pond or wild plants into our tanks. I got a couple of damselfly larvae in my tank through buying plants on ebay that weren't listed as being plants grown in a pond. The damselfly larvae I had must have been much younger as they were a pale sort of white colour.
Pretty scary looking though. :lol:
MoltenLava
Egg
Egg

Post by MoltenLava »

If I put guppies in the tank wouldn't they try to eat the Cherry shrimps??

BTW I have a couple of apple snails in the Cherry shrimp fishtank. I wanted them to clean up algae. But it's not quite working out, as they are eatting my plants instead. (see the snail thread) What are the other good ways to control algae in the shrimp fishtank?
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

The little bugs are probably copepods and are harmless if thatis what they are.

As to control of algae- do more water changes and reduce the light. Shoot for at least 25% per week, but 50% is better. The snail you have is likely a Cana. Brigs won't eat your plants. Nerite snails do a better job, but the best algae eater I've had so far is a bristle nose pleco.
Jojoyojimbi
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by Jojoyojimbi »

badflash wrote:the best algae eater I've had so far is a bristle nose pleco.
Otocinclus do a better job than bristlenoses do
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

badflash wrote:The little bugs are probably copepods and are harmless if thatis what they are..
And they are an indicator of good water quality. When I don't see copepods on the glass I get concerned and test my water and do a water change.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Otocinclus do a better job than bristlenoses do
I have both and the plecos do a much better job. I've tried about every fish and snail that is supposed to eat algae and the nerite is tops for snails, the pleco is best for the fish. Plecos also have a lot more personality and the bristlenose don't get too big. Both do fine with shrimp.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

I agree with badflash, on the Bristlenose Pleco.
If you know some that breeds them, try and get some very young ones, for the young do the best job on algae. they are like little lawn mowers.

I can not say for the adults and Shrimp. For I do not keep them long enough, I trade them in for the younger models.

John
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Yes, the adults are always hiding, but the young ones are out all the time keeping stuff really clean. I have 2 adults and 3 young ones. Mine are albino and hilarious. They think I can't see them on the bogwood.