halocaridina Ruba Ammonia/ Light

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Mustafa wrote:
That might actually work as long as the salinity does not go too low. I have had a few strings of chaetomorpha in my H. rubra tank for a while and I believe I am seeing some growth. It's nowhere near as effective (i.e. fast growing) as the string algae I have, but it should still get the job done. I don't know how much lower you can go with the salinity, though, before the chaetomorpha dies off. At half ocean salinity it still seems to be doing ok. I'll provide updates on this one (you, too, badflash! :)) as it has only been a few weeks since i've put the chaetomorpha in. I'm totally happy with my string algae, but my curiosity about the survival of chaetomorpha in low salinity water needs to be satisfied. :-D
Alright, it's official. Chaetomorpha linum, which seems to be the "common" Chaetomorpha available in the marine hobby, survives in low salinity brackish water. I see new growth in my half (actually a little less than half) ocean salinity H. rubra tank. Plus, some literature I read suggests that this species even survives in salinity as low as 8 ppt (35 ppt = ocean salinity). Just thought I'd update. :)
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I can confirm also that mine is growing at SG 1.018
8x10
Larva
Larva

Post by 8x10 »

Mustafa wrote:
badflash wrote:What about calcium hardness? Basalt is pretty low in calcium. I'm wondering if high calcium will effect color or reproduction.
I don't think you have to worry about calcium or anthing. If you're worried about it, you can always put some crushed coral into the tank. All I know is that my H. rubra have been living and breeding just fine and I have not even done any kind of water change (or added any calcium or anything else for that matter) in over a year. I just top off the water when it evaporates. Tap water already has all kinds of minerals, plus there are minerals in the food that I give them once in a while. So whatever they need, they seem to be getting it somehow as they are quite happy and multiplying.
Do you have a filter on this tank? I have one of those little microhabitat things but it is not sealed. It has a lid that comes off . It also has a live rock, some algae and I feed them spirulina occasionally. Most of the other areas I have checked on the web don't mention filters and just seem to have the shrimp in small tanks. this board consists of people who actually know what they are doing . My shrimp appear to be happy and get all excited when I feed them about twice a week. Just need to know if I should be using a filter or if it doesn't matter.

Don't have much more space but I will get them a bigger tank if you think the current setup is bad for them.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I have a bubble powered under gravel filter. Most of the shrimp live under the filter, but they do come out once in a while. Since I put in the Chaetomorpha I see them much more often.
8x10
Larva
Larva

See them

Post by 8x10 »

badflash wrote:I have a bubble powered under gravel filter. Most of the shrimp live under the filter, but they do come out once in a while. Since I put in the Chaetomorpha I see them much more often.

I want to be able to see them. I have them right near where I eat and I like watching them even though they are tiny.

They seem ok without a filter but I know they can live a long time even when mistreated. I want to be good to them. They are in my wall unit and it would be hard to get power there. I'd have to give them a new spot if they must have a filter to be happy. I've been really careful to not over feed.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

They don't really need a filter, but I think it's better for them to have something like a sponge filter (air driven). They seem to like grazing on the sponge that's filled with bacteria and aufwuchs. Just make sure that you can adjust the air flow to the filter so that there isn't too much surface agitation.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

What is the reason for lowering the amount of surface agitation?

Thanks
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Neonshrimp wrote:What is the reason for lowering the amount of surface agitation?

Thanks
Good question. I should have explained that better. You don't want too much surface agitation so that the free floating larvae, which are at the survace, don't get bumped around too much. The same applies to the adults, but to a lesser degree. Remember that they come from pools where there is no surface agitation, no waves and no strong currents. They seem to like it that way.
8x10
Larva
Larva

critters with my h. ruba

Post by 8x10 »

Could I put the following in a tank with my Hawaiian shrimp?

amphipods, copepods, isopods, skeleton shrimp, possible worms, tiny tiny crabs, nudibranchs.