Flower shrimp? Asian Filter Shrimp?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

devilofdajnk
<b>BANNED</b>

Flower shrimp? Asian Filter Shrimp?

Post by devilofdajnk »

Hi, I saw a tank full of "flower shrimp" at Big Als today and i wondered if it was the same as an "asian filter shrimp". I've read that it is kidna brown when you buy it from the store, which is correct right now, but I have my eyes on the more active ones. However, the more active ones have more of a blue tint to their color. So I just wanna see which type of shrimp it actually is.

Thanks.
carbon etc
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by carbon etc »

Half of these names someone somewhere pulled out of their butt. No way of knowing for sure what it is without the latin name. It's usually Atyopsis moluccensis I think, but the term "flower" could easily apply to any filter shrimp.

Atya gabonensis is blue, but is often brown when young. Would be cool if that's what they had. That's my favorite shrimp.

Although I've never seen an Atya gabonensis that was active unless it was trying to get away from something.
devilofdajnk
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by devilofdajnk »

After some thorough researching through many sites and looking at those "flower shrimps", I am seeing more signs of similar pattern and coloration on the shrimps to the pictures of Atyopsis moluccensis (which are Singapore Wood Shrimp aka Flower Shrimp). =) I now have 2 of these fellas and I am wondering if they will breed in the "completely suppressed" way?
Thx.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

The following is from the shrimp varieties section, larval development:

"Normal: larvae go through several planktonic stages before metamorphosing into post-larvae (miniature shrimp) and assuming a benthic lifestyle. For this process they need brackish water to full strength saltwater."

I have also read that it is very difficult to breed them in captivity. Best wishes with your new shrimp :)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

devilofdajnk wrote:After some thorough researching through many sites
Apparently not through this site, though. As neonshrimp pointed out the answer to your question is right there and has been there for a few years now. You might want to search this site first in the future, especially the shrimp varities and the rules section.... :roll: