exoskeleton with eggs

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

bludusty
Egg
Egg

exoskeleton with eggs

Post by bludusty »

Is this normal to find just the skeleton with eggs in it?
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Do you know if the female still has most of her eggs? How many eggs are on the shed exoskeleton? Normally the pregnant female will not molt until the eggs have hatched. When molting does happen during pregnancy some of the eggs may remain with the shed exoskeleton.
bludusty
Egg
Egg

eggs

Post by bludusty »

There were only 4 or 5 eggs in the skeleton. I have several females in a heavy planted tank, so don't know which one it could have come from. Thank you for your reply.
tapmxt1
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by tapmxt1 »

it is normal to have a few eggs left behind.

If you provide those eggs good circulation, they will hatch.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Would putting them under the outlet of a running filter be good circulation? I have heard that the eggs will hatch if close to the hatching date, have you seen r heard different?
tapmxt1
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by tapmxt1 »

I have exploded cherry red shrimps (RCS). So I do not bother to do that for them.

I have a few crystal red shrimps (CRS). If the CRS female molts before all eggs hatch, I definitely will try to hatch the remaining eggs :-D

I had read many people had succeeded with it: place eggs close to water fall of filter, use egg tumbler, etc.. So I guess if there is enough water movement to prevent fungus from growing, there should be pretty good chance.