Hatching Apple Snails

This forum is read-only.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Hatching Apple Snails

Post by badflash »

The subject was brough up in another forum, but I fiigured I'd post the answer here.

To hatch apple snail eggs I let them harden up for a day or so where they were layed. I then remove them with something with a sharp edge like a spatula.

I make my hatcher from inexpensive stuff from the local craft store:

This is a styrofoam ring, and a circular piece of plastic used for hooking rugs. I then get a round glad container from the grovery store, or raid my wife's pantry. :D

Prop the eggs up on a few flat tooth picks to keep them from getting wet from condensation. Keep it out of direct light & float it in a tank away from bubbles. After a week or so at 80 degrees F they will look moldy, then hatch. You may need to help them babies once the hatch starts by rinsing them into the water, or gently crushing the case and dropping the babies into the water. This is easier than it sounds.

Feed the babies cooked greens like romain & dandelion. I boil for 5 minutes & drain. I also use sinking goldfish food.

Clorox after a hatch or two or it will get moldy & replace the toothpicks each time.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

One question though, will the eggs not hatch well if left where they were layed? I am going to add snails to my community tank so thanks again for the tip :)
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

will the eggs not hatch well if left where they were layed?
Most of the time, so they won't. Further, few babies will survive in a tank with adults. The eggs usualy get too dry or are exposed to too much light if left on the tank side.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks :) Also, just wanted to make sure you mean to use the toothpicks like planks of a wood floor under the eggs, is this right?
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

No, just a 2 or 3 under a clutch. Lots of space between. You don't want any place for moisture to collect and rot the eggs.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I just got a few apple snails for my community tank. I have a black, an ivory and a blue colored snail. Could you tell me if they will breed even though they are different colors and if they will be multi-colored?

Yana
Egg
Egg

Post by Yana »

Neonshrimp wrote:I just got a few apple snails for my community tank. I have a black, an ivory and a blue colored snail. Could you tell me if they will breed even though they are different colors and if they will be multi-colored?

I hope badflash dosen't mind if I add in my .02 :)

So long as they are all P. Brigesii (which yours sound like they are, Canaliculata comes in gold, slightly jade, and wild(brown-black) only) they can breed and produce babies. The babies from blue snails clutches comes out with a majority of blue snails and a small amount of ivory snails. I'm not sure what black(wild-type I assume) and ivory produce on their own. Basically, if your black breeds with your blue, you'll get a clutch of black babies and blue babies(and maybe a few ivory). If your ivory and your blue breed you'll get ivories and blues. No mixed-color snails will occur.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thank you very much. I am going to add a few more as these guys are interesting and pretty to watch :)
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Here are some pics of the ones I'm breeding:

Of course this one is just fighting with the snails for his dinner. They shove him aside and he's a little miffed...
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Great pictures badflash :D How did you get the snails so purple, did you have to selectively breed them?
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

badflash
I just found out from my LPS, that in Michigan, they can no longer legaly sell apple snails .
There is a $1500.00 fine per snail.

Has anyone else heard of this ?

Just a little information
John
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

This isn't true. There is a prohibition against shipping Cana snails ( a different species from Brigs which is what these are). To ship Brigs you need to apply to the USDA for a permit and allow your facility to be inspected. The process is painless.

Canas are listed as an invasive species and they threaten the rice crops down south. The USDA doesn't care that these can't survive the winter or threaten crops up north. Irresponible snail owners dumped them in the ponds when the got bored with them and now we have a ban.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Neonshrimp wrote:Great pictures badflash :D How did you get the snails so purple, did you have to selectively breed them?
Like any other color morph it is done via selective breeding. I got these color by crossing two other colors. Their genetics are pretty complex. The color of the shell in combination with the color of the foot gives the overall color.

I'm working on getting a blue footed snail for cross breeding to a yellow shelled snail. Jade color will result.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

badflash
How long have been working on the purple Briggs ?

I can not wait to see a Jade color Briggs.

You must like green.
You have a green Cherry Shrimp, and you are working on a Jade colored Briggs.

Best of Luck
John
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks badflash, I will also be waiting to see your jade snails :shock: !