Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

YuccaPatrol

Nice set-up.
That is alot of hiding Places.

Is the Sub-strate Silica Sand ?

As for cutting clay pots.
If you can not find the Pliers, they sell Masonary Blade for a Hack-saw.
They do work, but they take alittle longer.

The PVC pipe is a good alternative and come in different sizes.

John
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

The sand is the basic cheap play sand from one of those big home improvement stores. I rinsed it very thoroughly and aged the tanks for over a month before moving the crays in.

I have also used standard pliers to do the same thing with pots when I was breeding cichlids, so you probably don't need any special tools unless you already have them.

Just take little bites out of the terra cotta so that you do not crack the whole pot.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Soak the pots for a day in water. It makes a big difference in how they break.
Vera
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Vera »

I use the pvc couplings in a lot of my breeder tanks, but was curious to see the tiny clay pots in action. They just sound so cool. :D
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I'll try to take some pics.
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

After spending several hours stripping the tank, picking snails off the lok-rocks and other cover, siphoning the substrate (Nasty mess it was, the 5 gallon bucket was BLACK, bubbles of gas in the substrate too.), then running a powerhead with a quickfilter to clean up floating debris, the results are in... not a single new juvie crayfish to be found. :(
The good news is, there is a berried female carrying a good-size cluster of eggs under her tail. I'm forgetting the divider this time around, though I am tempted to try a floating net breeder with some gravel in the bottom and a clump of java fern for cover if none of the young make it this time around.
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

I hope you checked the bucket as well...

TKD
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

The siphon I use for the shrimp/crayfish tanks has a small-diameter tubing attached to the larger plastic endpiece. It picks up debris very nicely, but the water flow is slow enough to watch what's being collected. I did see a small shrimp in the tube briefly, but it quickly escaped. The only critters visible in the bucket after the muck settled were several tiny ramshorn snails.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Sorry to hear about not finding young in the tank. Hope the next batch turns out much better :-)
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

The berried female has a good hiding place between the sponges of one of the filters. She should be comfortable/secure enough there to keep her clutch intact. I'm waiting until later today to put the rocks and plastic plants back in place to allow the males a good chance to mate. I did see the largest orange male grab a female a few days ago, so apparently they haven't all been hiding out too much. It's also a matter of whether they are currently in breeding form. I noticed the new ones have grown a bit, but didn't find any recent molts while cleaning. Considering the numbers of crayfish, shrimp, and snails in the tank, that isn't surprising. I doubt that anything edible would last more than a couple hours.
CanadianCray
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by CanadianCray »

You guys could try something that I have been using for breeding my plecos. I have been using the clay saucer that is placed under clay pots. You cut a little notch in one edge & then silicone two of them together to make a little cave. I use a masonary blade for my hacksaw to cut the notches in the clay & then sand it smooth.

Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks for sharing you helpful idea. I think I will try both and see which one they like :)
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

That is pretty much what I am doing with the pots, but just the pot with no bottom. As it turns out the pots cost half what the saucers cost. Go figure.

My cajuns prefer the gravel bottom too, so don't bother with a smooth bottom.
CanadianCray
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by CanadianCray »

ADMIN: [no need to make a farewell scene...."goodbye/complaint letter" deleted. If you want to leave, just leave...you don't have to announce it to the world. Some people always expect special treatment, disregard all rules, thereby disrespecting the website, the forum and the website/forum owner, and then complain if they don't get their special treatment. :roll: ....User banned. More than enough rules have been broken.]
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

We'll miss you here, but I'll catch you at apple snail. The technical info here iis more than worth it though.

If I were you, I'd chill for a while, then come back.