Cherry shrimp Molting

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

pufferfreak
Egg
Egg

Cherry shrimp Molting

Post by pufferfreak »

Hi, I have some cherry shrimp I ordered from here, anyways there all doing great! Some are already turning red, and two are pregnant already. I was wondering, when the red ones molt, does the molting still keep the red coloring? There in my 12 gallon tank and the only plant in there is dwarf hairgrass, trying to get a field going. I put about enough Flourish for 55 gallons in my 12 once a week after water change every 2 weeks. Still no algae lol
Acsuth
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Acsuth »

there was color discussion and molting in this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=175

it may answer your questions :)
pufferfreak
Egg
Egg

Post by pufferfreak »

dangit, what I saw must have been a peice of a dead shrimp then...dangit :( Thanks
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Cherry shrimp Molting

Post by Bradimus »

pufferfreak wrote: I put about enough Flourish for 55 gallons in my 12 once a week after water change every 2 weeks. Still no algae lol
Overdosing with Flourish is risky and will not induce algae growth. Flourish only provides micronutrients that help sustain already rapid growth.
scrimp

Post by scrimp »

How deep in color are most of the cherry reds out there. I seem to have some that are much like the ones features in most people photographs and then I have some that are a solid deep red always. Are these the same species or different? Or is this a common occurance?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Their coloration is variable. I have some solid reds, some bright cherry colored ones, and some that are all kinds of variations of red...with or without white stripe on the back.
scrimp

Post by scrimp »

Do you know anything or does anyone know anything about the genetics of the shrimp coloration in cherry reds. Like which is the ressesive trait or dominate trait.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The red coloration is actually recessive. If you introduce a wild colored N. denticulata sinensis to a group of red cherries, that population will eventually all be wild colored (after a couple of generations when the red animals die off).
scrimp

Post by scrimp »

In my researching last night on this subject I came upon an article on Crystal Red. The man in Japan who started breeding this made me intrested in this subject. He found only 3 shrimp and started breeding them to what we have to this day. So is there a way to breed the cherry reds and creat maybe a new strain? Its too weird to find that two ressesive make another ressesive colored shrimp. You you when breeding Mufasa do any selective breeding like this or do you just let natural selection happen? I would love to have a new crystal green shrimp lol. How about a shrimp show you know where you show off your best speciman etc. Like they have with fish Ive been searching for one online but havent found one.