Atyopsis moluccensis Carrying Eggs!

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Atyopsis moluccensis Carrying Eggs!

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

I have great news! One of my four females is carrying eggs! There are so many that she's having a difficult time carrying them all! (As soon as I get my web cam working, I'll post pics!) I am going to a fish swap on Sunday, and a member is giving me salt water mix. I need a crash course on what I need to test and maintain saltwater because I have never kept a salt water tank. Do I need to get a hydrometer? I really want to try to raise these shrimp, and I have been waiting for months for any of the females to be carrying eggs.

I read here: viewtopic.php?t=1734&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 that I need 1/2 strength saltwater, correct? I would like everyone's help with this! Thanks!!!
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

That would be a good place to start, maybe even lower like 12-13 ppt. No one has done this that I know of. This level of salt is used for M. Rosenbergii, while full strength seawater was used for Amanos.

Wait until they hatch, then use a light to attract the zoes & remove them with a turkey baster.
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

I went and picked up the salt water mix this evening. What sort of filter would be the best for the tank? I will be using a standard 10 gallon tank. Is this a decent size tank to use?
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Use nothing but a foam bubble filter. Don't add too much air. Keep it gentle. Get some marine green water for them. 10 should be more than big enough.
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

badflash wrote:Use nothing but a foam bubble filter. Don't add too much air. Keep it gentle. Get some marine green water for them. 10 should be more than big enough.
Is a foam bubble filter the same as a sponge filter?

How do I get marine green water?
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

AnneRiceBowl wrote:
Is a foam bubble filter the same as a sponge filter?

How do I get marine green water?
Yes, it is the same, just make sure the cells are really small. The bubbles that make up the faom should be almost invisible.

As to marine green water, are you near the ocean? If so you should be able to culture some from sea water. Lots of light and a few drops of plant fertilizer should do it. Lotts of air for circulation.
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

Would a Hydor sponge filter do the job? I have one that I can use.

Unfortunately, I am land-locked (Nebraska). Can I set up the 10 gallon with the salt water mix, put in some plant ferts, and put a compact flourescent light on the tank with an airstone? I could use the water from my planted tank to start the process. Would this work?
carbon etc
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by carbon etc »

Some pet stores and most aquarium stores sell live marine phytoplankton in little bottles. Should run $8 or less.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

The cell size on that filter looks to be a bit large. You want really tiny poors so the zoes don't get sucked through it.
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

I went and picked up a hydrometer (I am too broke right now to afford a refractometer). I also rehomed the dwarf puffers that were in the 10 gallon, and I just need to clean out the tank and set it up for the shrimp.

I also tried looking at different sponge filters and sponges that were at the LPS that I went to yesterday, and I couldn't find any sponge that would have done the job. The owner of the store had suggested that I try a craft store and try a hard sponge that is used in cut flower arrangements. What do you guys think of this?
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

You've still got enough time to order a proper sponge filter. I'd order one ASAP from any online store that sells them. I would not use the craft store flower arrangement block of foam.

You should have enough time to get the tank set up and ready before the eggs hatch. . .
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

What kind of sponge filter do you recommend?
The Fisherman
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by The Fisherman »

AnneRiceBowl wrote:What kind of sponge filter do you recommend?
I really like the Hydro Sponge, after it was reccomended to me by people on this forum.

I'm sure any sponge filter would work, but i'll let someone else with experience in raising babys shrimps awnser this one.

-John (AKA: The Puffer Ninja)
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

I have to correct something that I posted. I have a Hydro sponge filter, not a Hydor sponge filter! =P I always do that... :oops:

So, I have a Hydro sponge filter that I can use on the 10 gallon. I have also raised dwarf shrimp. I used a Hydro in their tank and never has any problems with shrimplets getting sucked into it.
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

I am looking forward to more updates on this. I am particularly interested in knowing the incubation time between the first day you saw eggs and the day that they hatch.

I am looking to get a couple males so I can start trying to breed these.

Of all the shrimp species out there, I feel that these are of special concern and captive breeding techniques need to be developed before the wild populations are affected by unregulated collection and habitat destruction.

Now that they are readily available to the uneducated fish/shrimp killing public at the big box stores, I worry about how well wild populations will hold up over time without captive breeding.