Allow me to introduce myself ;)

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Allow me to introduce myself ;)

Post by YuccaPatrol »

Well, I've been at it with the shrimp for quite a while and never really considered keeping crayfish. As my research has me stomping through creeks and rivers to find freshwater sponges underneath large flat rocks, I see a lot of crayfish.

Today, while collecting sponge gemmules in the Cahaba river, I decided to bring home about 10 of the common crayfish I see. Other collection sites have more interesting colored crays, but these are just the ones I grabbed while in the field this morning.

I'll take some photos later and will ask around the department for a key to identify them. Since there are over 80 species of crays here in Alabama, I've got my work cut out for me. . . .

I figure that I might as well work with a readily available species before I start ordering exotic specimins. . .
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Welcome to the forum! ;) :-D Yes, Alabama has tons species out there that are potentially interesting for the Aquarium hobby. If I am not mistaken there are several species of Cambarellus down there. What you might want to concentrate on when searching for aquarium suitable animals are crayfish that come from warmer waters. The vast majority of crayfish in the US live in cold water and won't breed in an aquarium setting. I'd look in flooded areas and temporary pools away from the main river bed, too, as you are most likely to find the smaller species of crayfish there. Good luck and keep us updated!
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your new crayfish. Best wishes with your new finds :)
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

Mustafa wrote: Yes, Alabama has tons species out there that are potentially interesting for the Aquarium hobby. If I am not mistaken there are several species of Cambarellus down there. What you might want to concentrate on when searching for aquarium suitable animals are crayfish that come from warmer waters.
Yes, we have three species of Cambarellus, two of which are listed as being of high conservation concern. I'll have to look into the regulations concerning wild collection.

As for these crays from the Cahaba river. . . I will observe them for the week and then release them back into the river.

From reading the species list (83 in Alabama!), it looks like I need to head South to the Mobile area to collect some of the more interesting species suitable for my aquariums. . .
WetPets
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by WetPets »

Good point from Mustafa, but would you really want them to breed ? I mean yeah "common" crayfish are as fun to watch as hard to gets, they are very hard to sell so chances are, you'd end up with a few hundred tiny brown crayfish all over...just a though :-D
The Fisherman
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by The Fisherman »

Hey, welcome to the forum lol :wink:

I have a few species of crays near where I live as well, in fact I live right on a river, and I can catch them fairly easily. I'm not sure on the scientific names.

I caought 6 youngsters in the same river, just farther away. Although 3 of them died on the way home...I used too small of a container, and I left them in there too long.I felt really bad :cry:. Then one of them crawled out of the tank and died.another one dissapeared...so I decided just to let the remaining one go, back into the river... So I guess I learned to always have an appropriate container when catching crayfish. Never impulse catch them...Although my original intention was to use them as food for my puffers, I just decided to let the one go.

I heard of someone cooking and eating these wild caougt crays :shock:

We actually have an "invasive" crayfish as well. I think that may have been the kind I caought in the above story. Its called the Rusty crayfish or something.

I might make it down to the river tomorrow and see if I can catch one and get some pics, although its pretty late in the season. Usually all I find now is dead ones washed up on shore :cry:

-John (AKA: The Puffer Ninja)
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

I spent a good while observing the new crays this evening. I am positive that I have at least two different species, probably 3, and possibly as many as 4. Not too bad for collecting in a site no larger than a few square meters (but that is typical of the incredible diversity found in the Cahaba River)

One species appears to be smaller than the others, and although not a dwarf, it may turn out to be a small species that *might* be appropriate for keeping over the long term.

I won't be able to get my hands on the identification key for Alabama crays until next week, so can't get a positive ID just yet.

I'll be releasing the larger specimens and will keep the pair of the small, red/rusty colored species.

For the time being, they should be quite happy in my unheated tank that I keep for temporary housing of various native aquatic species. The river is currently the same temperature as the tank, 22'C
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

I took back all but 2 of the crays I collected yesterday. I kept a pair of the red and brown species as I am curious to identify them and find out their maximum size.
CanadianCray
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by CanadianCray »

If your in Alabama you have many crays to choose from. 74 different species to be exact.
1. Cambarellus diminutus T
2. Cambarellus lesliei T
3. Cambarellus shufeldtii CS
4. Cambarus acanthura CS
5. Cambarus bartonii bartonii CS
6. Cambarus bartonii cavatus CS
7. Cambarus coosae CS
8. Cambarus cracens E
9. Cambarus diogenes ¤ CS
10. Cambarus distans CS
11. Cambarus englishi SC
12. Cambarus girardianus CS
13. Cambarus graysoni CS
14. Cambarus halli SC
15. Cambarus howardi SC
16. Cambarus hamulatus CS
17. Cambarus jonesi CS
18. Cambarus latimanus CS
19. Cambarus manningi CS
20. Cambarus miltus T
21. Cambarus obstipus SC
22. Cambarus scotti T
23. Cambarus striatus CS
24. Cambarus tenebrosus ¤ CS
25. Cambarus unestami T
26. Cambarus veitchorum E
27. Fallicambarus byersi CS
28. Fallicambarus danielae T
29. Fallicambarus fodiens CS
30. Fallicambarus hedgpethi CS
31. Fallicambarus oryktes SC
32. Faxonella clypeata CS
33. Hobbseus prominens CS
34. Orconectes alabamensis SC
35. Orconectes australis australis CS
36. Orconectes compressus CS
37. Orconectes cooperi E
38. Orconectes erichsonianus CS
39. Orconectes forceps CS
40. Orconectes holti T
41. Orconectes immunis CS
42. Orconectes jonesi T
43. Orconectes mirus CS
44. Orconectes perfectus CS
45. Orconectes placidus CS
46. Orconectes sheltae ?
47. Orconectes spinosus CS
48. Orconectes validus CS
49. Orconectes virilis (CS)
50. Procambarus acutissimus CS
51. Procambarus acutus acutus ¤ CS
52. Procambarus bivittatus CS
53. Procambarus capillatus CS
54. Procambarus clarkii CS
55. Procambarus clemmeri CS
56. Procambarus escambiensis E
57. Procambarus evermanni CS
58. Procambarus hagenianus hagenianus CS
59. Procambarus hayi CS
60. Procambarus hubbelli CS
61. Procambarus hybus CS
62. Procambarus lecontei SC
63. Procambarus lewisi SC
64. Procambarus lophotus CS
65. Procambarus marthae SC
66. Procambarus okaloosae CS
67. Procambarus pecki E
68. Procambarus shermani CS
69. Procambarus spiculifer ¤ CS
70. Procambarus suttkusi SC
71. Procambarus verrucosus CS
71. Procambarus versutus CS
72. Procambarus viaeviridis CS
73. Procambarus vioscai paynei CS
74. Procambarus zonangulus CS
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

CanadianCray

How many of those are Dwarf's

John
CanadianCray
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by CanadianCray »

Other than.

3. Cambarellus shufeldtii CS

I have no idea.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

I have seen several Dwarf Crayfish, On one of the auctions sites.

And they are all in Germany.

Some of the Crayfish on your list, they have.

It is pretty bad, that if you want some US native Dwarf Crayfish.
That you have to buy them from someone in Germany.

That is if you do not live in the southern US.

John
Last edited by Newjohn on Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CanadianCray
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by CanadianCray »

Yeah thats where I got my Dwarfs from Germany.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Maybe
In the near furture, YuccaPatrol, Can collect the different Species of Dwarf Crayfish. :-D

And make them availible to the Hobby. ;-)

I would love to take a vacation to the south, and do my own collecting.
But, I do not think my wife will go for that.
Wading around in muddy water is not her idea of a vacation.

I will be visiting a old friend, that lives in the Atlanta Georgia area
This fall .

Are there any Dwarf Species in that area ?

John
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

CanadianCray wrote:If your in Alabama you have many crays to choose from. 74 different species to be exact.
Another source I've found has stated 83 species. Either way, we've got the most diversity of crays in the U.S. :-D

There is a chance that I will need to go on a collecting trip for a different species of freshwater sponge down in Mobile County, and that is where all of the dwarf species are known to exist.

It could be a very good thing to get Cambarellus diminutis (among the very smallest species) into the hobby. It is a threatened species which only grows to 2.5cm. I read the original species description this morning and have identified the stream on topo maps where it lives. It is not currently listed as "endangered", but I'll need to check the laws about collecting. . . .