Finally have eggs!!!

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

CanadianCray
<b>BANNED</b>

Finally have eggs!!!

Post by CanadianCray »

After much complaining & cursing that my Cambarellus patzcuarensis var orange were not breeding. I was looking for one of the females this morning to try seperating the crays for a bit & what do I find. SHE HAS EGGS. SOOO EXCITED. I seperated her into a 5 gallon bare bottom tank today with a coconut cave & tonnes of hornwort.

Don't want to count my crayfish before they hatch soo I will just wait & see what happens. I was getting VERY nervous as I was down to my last male & last 2 females out of 12 crays. These are going to be the best looked after baby crays anyone has ever seen.
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

That sounds great! Congratulations!

As I am hoping to begin breeding a similar species soon, I'm curious to hear about your tank. How long have you had those crays? Do you have any idea why the others died over time? How large is your aquarium?

Thanks!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I don't want to rain in on the party, but having ovigerous females does not guarantee offspring in shrimp and crayfish (far from it). The really hard part is to keep the offspring alive after hatching. If water parameters are not to their liking, the offspring die off almost immediately (within a day or two). They are much more sensitive in their first few days than the adults. That's why people constantly report having ovigerous females and then come back to report that the female has no eggs anymore but no offspring are visible either (they died off).

Anyway, I hope things go well. :)
The Fisherman
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by The Fisherman »

Congrats, I hope things go well! :-D

-John (AKA: The Puffer Ninja)
CanadianCray
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by CanadianCray »

Mustafa wrote:I don't want to rain in on the party, but having ovigerous females does not guarantee offspring in shrimp and crayfish (far from it). The really hard part is to keep the offspring alive after hatching. If water parameters are not to their liking, the offspring die off almost immediately (within a day or two). They are much more sensitive in their first few days than the adults. That's why people constantly report having ovigerous females and then come back to report that the female has no eggs anymore but no offspring are visible either (they died off).

Anyway, I hope things go well. :)
This is my first time breeding this particular species but I have bred 13 other species before with no problems so I don't aniticipate any here.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

CanadianCray wrote:
This is my first time breeding this particular species but I have bred 13 other species before with no problems so I don't aniticipate any here.
I wasn't doubting your experience as a breeder. I'm sure you've bred a bunch of crayfish before. I'm just telling you that these are literally some different animals, much more sensitive than your "usual" crayfish. I don't think it's a good policy to not anticipate "any" problems. I'm always ready to resolve problems, because I know that they *will* occur sooner or later with new/rare species that I keep and want to breed. Once you've bred a species for several generations it's a different story.
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

Last 3 out of 12, OUCH :shock: What happened to the rest? I had the impression they were an easy species to keep, not particular about water chemistry. I have been considering ordering a pair from Germany, but if someone as experienced as yourself is having such trouble with them, I think I'll wait until I find more info.
Good luck with the babies, I hope you succeed :!:
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

There is a learning curve with these for sure. My experience is much the same. Heavy losses until you get the knack of it, and I'm not sure what that is. Leaf litter sure seems to be part of it. Keeping pH in anarrow band 7.5-7.6 also seems to be an isue with mine.

I had issues with shrimp too when I got started, now I can't figure out how I could have screwed it up.
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

I haven't had any problems w/the cherry shrimp since the start. I lost some before the tank was well-established, but at least half survived, and have thrived ever since. I use some crushed coral in the substrate. Would that work as well for the crayfish? I was thinking of adding a couple to the shrimp tank, at least until I get another 10 set up and cycled.
CanadianCray
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by CanadianCray »

ToddnBecka wrote:Last 3 out of 12, OUCH :shock: What happened to the rest? I had the impression they were an easy species to keep, not particular about water chemistry. I have been considering ordering a pair from Germany, but if someone as experienced as yourself is having such trouble with them, I think I'll wait until I find more info.
Good luck with the babies, I hope you succeed :!:
The losses I can say were my fault. I didn't really setup a proper tank for them for the first few months. I didn't even pay close attention to them cause I was too busy with other stuff. The tank conditions now should be fine for them. Very hard water with PH of 7.6. Couldn't ask for anything better. now its just a waiting game to see the babies & shake them off the mommy into the baby tank.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

There is an old saying that the best protection is the gardener's shadow. The same is true for the aquarium. Neglect is for sure my problem. I'm in "auto" on the cherry shrimp and don't think about their needs any more. I'm getting there with my cajuns.

I'll be getting a load of blues tomorrow and you can bet my shadow will be all over them!