Introducing: Cambarellus diminutus

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

Cableguy
Larva
Larva

Post by Cableguy »

i can't wait until you get enough of these to spread around, congrats!
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

Cableguy wrote:i can't wait until you get enough of these to spread around, congrats!
I shouldn't be too long before these are established in the hobby. The plan is to produce a good number of juveniles large enough to ship and share them with a few known successful breeders. Once those folks establish their breeding colonies, they will make them available to everyone else. Although this does take some time, I expect to be able to ship the first breeding colonies in about a month or so.

Although this does take a lot more time than simply going out and collecting large numbers of wild specimens and shipping them around the world, it is the most responsible way to handle a rare species because no more wild specimens will ever need to be collected. The wait is worth it and the wild crays would thank us for caring enough to patient while captive breeding populations are established.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Although this does take a lot more time than simply going out and collecting large numbers of wild specimens and shipping them around the world, it is the most responsible way to handle a rare species because no more wild specimens will ever need to be collected. The wait is worth it and the wild crays would thank us for caring enough to patient while captive breeding populations are established.
Way to go Yucca :D !
Cableguy
Larva
Larva

Post by Cableguy »

i agree, plus each successive generation is going to be more adapted to life in the aquariums
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

Being so small, they will be great to keep with shrimp, particulrly for the folks who are always asking "what won't eat my shrimp". :lol:
I would imagine they'll be pretty adaptable to different water conditions as well, particularly after being aquarium-bred and raised for a few generations.
milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by milalic »

Excellent news!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

YuccaPatrol wrote: Although this does take a lot more time than simply going out and collecting large numbers of wild specimens and shipping them around the world, it is the most responsible way to handle a rare species because no more wild specimens will ever need to be collected. The wait is worth it and the wild crays would thank us for caring enough to patient while captive breeding populations are established.
I'm glad you are perfectly aligned with the goals and visions that Petshrimp.com stands for since its inception. The more people think that way, the better. :smt023 These things are not publicized much but quite a few species are gone from the wild forever due to overzealous commercial collectors/exporters. One such is example is the ubiquitos "red tail shark" (Epalzeorhynchus bicolor), which is believed to be gone forever from the wild. However, it is still bred in fish farms. Other species are not that lucky and just disappear for good without extant captive populations. That's what's probably happening to numerous decapod invertebrate species as we speak. It would be shame if C. diminutus met with the same fate.

So, again...kudos for your attitude, Yucca!
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

Mustafa wrote:
YuccaPatrol wrote: Although this does take a lot more time than simply going out and collecting large numbers of wild specimens and shipping them around the world, it is the most responsible way to handle a rare species because no more wild specimens will ever need to be collected. The wait is worth it and the wild crays would thank us for caring enough to patient while captive breeding populations are established.
I'm glad you are perfectly aligned with the goals and visions that Petshrimp.com stands for since its inception. The more people think that way, the better. :smt023 These things are not publicized much but quite a few species are gone from the wild forever due to overzealous commercial collectors/exporters. One such is example is the ubiquitos "red tail shark" (Epalzeorhynchus bicolor), which is believed to be gone forever from the wild. However, it is still bred in fish farms. Other species are not that lucky and just disappear for good without extant captive populations. That's what's probably happening to numerous decapod invertebrate species as we speak. It would be shame if C. diminutus met with the same fate.

So, again...kudos for your attitude, Yucca!
That it there should be less diseases as well.

TKD
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

Today I received the new camera I have been saving up for. Pentax Optio W20. For a compact camera, it is quite nice as it is waterproof (to 5 feet) and has very good macro and low light modes.

So very nice to be able to get a good photo without spending all night trying and hoping.

Here's a new image of a berried female with eggs about halfway through embryonic development.

Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Very nice picture :-D !
For a compact camera, it is quite nice as it is waterproof (to 5 feet) and has very good macro and low light modes.
Thinking about using this feature soon :D ?
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

YuccaPatrol

It looks like she is carrying around 20 eggs.
Has she already droped eggs , or do they do that later ?

I will have to look into that camera. Those are some nice pictures.

John
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

She has already dropped some eggs, but not very many. I've found that if I can isolate the females on the first day they are carrying eggs, they tend to hold onto them better.

In comparison, females that escape my watchful eye and remain in the community tank often end up with only two or three eggs if they do not drop all of them.

So far, the most I have had a female carry all the way is 8. I suspect that I might have twice as many per female now that I am following a strict isolation procedure.

Once they are isolated, they are not to be disturbed in any way other than to feed and siphon out any uneaten food.
FISH WORLD ERIE
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by FISH WORLD ERIE »

nice pic. what did the camera set you back.

Jason
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

FISH WORLD ERIE wrote:nice pic. what did the camera set you back.

Jason
It really wasn't too expensive. Do an internet search for a really good price and you can get it for about 40% off list price.

I won't say that this is the ultimate camera by any means, but it is perfect for the kind of harsh environments I often find myself in.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I won't say that this is the ultimate camera by any means, but it is perfect for the kind of harsh environments I often find myself in.
I can invission a net in one hand and a camera in the other while being waist deep in water :-D !